• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Cant install anything.

jordan12

[H]F Junkie
Joined
Dec 29, 2000
Messages
11,053
Guys,

I have a machine that has Xp that was just put on like a month ago.

If I try to install anything, it dies. Says it caused a severe error or crash and it asks if I wish to report it to Microsoft.

Do you feel that a repair might help this situation?
 
That might be an option, because it sounds like your having major issues with something core to the OS. But before you do that, go through the usual steps...check for viruses, spyware, run WindowsUpdate, etc.
 
jordan12 said:
Guys,

I have a machine that has Xp that was just put on like a month ago.

If I try to install anything, it dies. Says it caused a severe error or crash and it asks if I wish to report it to Microsoft.

Do you feel that a repair might help this situation?

Did you upgrade from an older OS like 98? If you have an older computer you might have an incompatible piece of hardware. You should run the readiness analizer.

Put in your XP CD and
Start>run type d:\i386\winnt32.exe /checkupgradeonly

or on the autoplay screen go to Check System Compatibility and click on Check my System Automatically.

If it finds that everything is ok, or you didn't upgrade from 98, then n/m me and follow djnes' suggestions. ;)
 
Do a start -> Run and type "sfc /scannow" without the ""s.

Failing that, scan for adware/spyware with the programs in my signature, don't forget to upgrade your definitions before scanning :).

Failing that, go download the windows installer (from microsoft's website).
 
Direwolf20 said:
Thanks djnes :). I was feeling lazy, and didn't get the link, hehe.
I was already there, looking for another file. I was feeling lazy too, but figured, what the hell...I'm already there.
 
You guys are fantastic. I didn't knwo what to do. Thanks. Will try them out tonight..
 
Back
Top