Can't install aftermarket heatsink on Silverstone FT01?

Le037

Limp Gawd
I just saw a video from 3DGAMEMAN on Youtube about this case where he says the motherboard tray doesn't come with holes for an aftermarket heatsink's retention bracket. Anyone with this case know if this is true?

It does not have holes but all that means is that you have to take the motherboard out of the case to install it. Nothing that isn't common anyways.

I have a Coolermaster V8 in my FT01, which is a very large heatsink, it fits just fine.

Heres a picture of the case by the way:

DSC_0152.jpg

Doesn't really show the cooler that well, but it does butt almost up to the acrylic.

Thanks for the pic man! I'm waiting on my case and that's the best pic of it I've seen so far. Makes me happy I bought it. Isn't the idea of grabbing the heatsink to the motherboard plate about securing it so it doesn't bend or break the motherboard?

Edit: Btw, if you have more pics please post them :)

Unfortunately I have no more of the case itself. I will take some tomorrow if I think about it though. It's a good case, but wiring is a little tricky.

I'm not sure what you were asking in the second part but the motherboard and heatsink seem attached very well and I couldn't see any flexing. The heatsink came with another backplate that is secured on top of the original plate and the screws have stops so it's impossible to overtighten. Very easy. Very nice.

Isn't the idea of grabbing the heatsink to the motherboard plate about securing it so it doesn't bend or break the motherboard?
Not a single CPU heatsink is attached to anything else than motherboard unless it's done with some own made support.
(which would be sensible with heaviest tower heatsinks which have mass center far from motherboard)

I know I said I'd upload a few more pics a while ago but I just now got around to it. Not much to look at, but I figure more pics can't hurt for people who are looking to buy it.

DSC_0154.jpg

DSC_0155.jpg

DSC_0156.jpg

DSC_0157.jpg

DSC_0158.jpg

DSC_0159.jpg

I know that I need to clean the wiring up a bit more, but I am going to do a "murdermod" style sleeving on the wires, and until I do that I figure it isn't really worth it.

Nice pics man this case is great! Do you think that heatsink would have fit if you used a motherboard with the socket a little higher like the EVGA X58?

Yeah it's no problem. The heatsink will fit just fine just about anywhere the motherboard will put it, because there is about a 1/4 inch or 1/2 inch or so until it hits the acrylic, which means just about the same for the aluminum. Its a pretty wide case.

Thanks for the compliments by the way. I kinda like the color scheme of the motherboard, it's an ugly one but I think it's kind of "charismatically" ugly, in that it at least it looks kinda cool. To me anyway.

btw man that motherboard power plug is it easy to remove? I feel like im gonna rip my motherboard appart on my mobo

It ain't too tough. There is also an 8 pin connector for the CPU, not a 4 pin. And there is a molex connector for the PCI-e expansion slots which I thought was strange.

Back