Can't Install 4GB?

Lurker28

Weaksauce
Joined
Nov 19, 2006
Messages
66
GA-965P-DS3 is the model of my motherboard.

It has the latest BIOS and it is not a dead RAM slot or dead RAM. I have put them each in all the slots and it boots up just fine. However, the second you put that 4th chunk of RAM in the Mobo the system does not boot.

Does anyone have any ideas?
 
Some things to try:
1A) Go into the BIOS and force the memory mode to Single Channel rather than Dual Channel or Auto.
1B) If 1A fixes the issue: Check the motherboard manual and ensure your memory is installed in the correct paired sockets for dual-channel operation and try again.
2) Check for a BIOS update to ensure you have the latest version.
3) Force the command rate from 1T or Auto to 2T.
4) Manually set the timing of your memory.

I think the first one may solve the issue for you... sucks that you might not be able to use Dual Channel memory mode but at least you'll be able to use your memory.
 
if you're overclocking with a 4-up config, it doesn't hurt to up the NB voltage a tad if you haven't already.
 
Well I am having issues with my 4 ram stick also


I am running Windows Vista 64-bit, I been trying a few things like reseting the c-mos. That works but after a reboot or two if goes back to 2.96gigs Is there something I am missing :confused:

I am running AMD X2 939 Toledo, A8N32-SLI Deluxe , CORSAIR XMS (4 x 1GB) DDR 400
 
I've heard you need to run 64 bit vista with 2 gigs max, download some kind of windows update to address the four gig issue, then install the other sticks...
 
GA-965P-DS3 is the model of my motherboard.

It has the latest BIOS and it is not a dead RAM slot or dead RAM. I have put them each in all the slots and it boots up just fine. However, the second you put that 4th chunk of RAM in the Mobo the system does not boot.

Does anyone have any ideas?


when you say boot, do you mean it won't POST or when it starts to load the OS it stops?
 
Increase your DRAM Voltage as well as the MCH voltage. Having 4 sticks stresses out the memory controller and many boards have problems powering that 4th stick. On my DS3, I have 4GB of G.Skill sticks with the DRAM voltage set to 2.1v and the MCH at +0.2v (the E6400 is at 3.6Ghz).
 
Back
Top