Can't get support ticket confirmations sent out from our help desk system

damnathan

Limp Gawd
FIXED, thanks for the help

Ok, first off, I know next to nothing about programming, webmastering, etc. I need to provide more info, just let me know what it is, and I'll see what I can do to get it for you.

Background: We are trying to implement HESK help desk software into our website to handle support tickets. Its a very basic/inexpensive program, but it does everything we need it to do and it is really easy for me to work with. When it is working properly, an email confirmation should be sent to customers/visitors letting them know we received their support request. This is done via PHP.

Problem: Confirmation emails will not be received unless the customer provided email address happens to be one of our domain email addresses (@koolertek.com). If someone has a gmail/hotmail/yahoo/anything else email address, they will never receive anything.

HESK's site mentions this: "Make sure your server allows sending e-mails from user "Nobody", PHP and CGI scripts usually run as "Nobody"" I'm guessing this may be the problem, that something is blocking/disabling this ability.

Here is a link to our PHP settings: http://www.koolertek.com/phpinfo.php

The support page is here, though there is no link to it currently on our site since it isn't working right yet: http://www.koolertek.com/support/

The company that currently handles our web design and servers can't seem to work this problem out. The guy in charge basically told me that he isn't a PHP programmer, and I should try to find the answer to the problem on my own. I know a lot of people here are really knowledgeable about stuff like this, so any ideas you guys have that I could pass along to him would be appreciated greatly.

Oh, our server software is IIS6, if that matters....as I said, I know practically nothing about this kind of stuff. :)

Last edited:
First step to me would be validating that any SMTP messages are able to get through. You are working with a managed infrastructure, and there are going to be rules to adhere to or adjust for. The phpinfo page does list a different SMTP port of 2525, so that may not be the only thing that is "non-default". Try putting up a PHP page that simply generates and sends an email message. See what works, and compare against how HESK does it. Contact the vendor, too -- perhaps this environment/configuration has been done before with their software, and they have some suggestions.

Just be ready to act as both a facilitator of communication and as an implementer of small bits of test code to prove/disprove ideas presented during the testing, troubleshooting, and (potential) finger-pointing...

Back