cant get rid of 'now safe to turn off computer'

soulslinga

n00b
i did a fresh install of windows xp on her few years old gateway computer. it previously had windows 98. Now when she goes to shut down, windows shuts down, but then she gets the 'it is now safe to turn off your computer' message. this is a real pain, you have to sit and wait for windows to shut down, then hit the button.
I tried enabling/disabling apm and other things in the power settings. I tried changing around power related things in her bios. Still getting that message. Any help?

soulslinga said:
i did a fresh install of windows xp on her few years old gateway computer. it previously had windows 98. Now when she goes to shut down, windows shuts down, but then she gets the 'it is now safe to turn off your computer' message. this is a real pain, you have to sit and wait for windows to shut down, then hit the button.
I tried enabling/disabling apm and other things in the power settings. I tried changing around power related things in her bios. Still getting that message. Any help?

Her system may not support the feature where the OPERATING SYSTEM can turn of the power.
It may be an AT power supply, - You give no info as to what the system configuration is. - THe ability of windows to turn off your computer is based on hardware compliance with the shutdown command. Not all computers *are* compliant with it.

sorry for the late response, its hard to get system specs outta my girlfriend. hope someone can still help. Right now i have apm enabled, there is a battery icon in her taskbar, but i still have the same problem, that doesnt seem to help.

Gateway G6-350
windows xp sp2
128 ram
intel pentium 2
linksys ethernet router
nvidia riva 128
creative soundblaseter audio pci

soulslinga said:
sorry for the late response, its hard to get system specs outta my girlfriend. hope someone can still help. Right now i have apm enabled, there is a battery icon in her taskbar, but i still have the same problem, that doesnt seem to help.

Gateway G6-350
windows xp sp2
128 ram
intel pentium 2
linksys ethernet router
nvidia riva 128
creative soundblaseter audio pci

I don't know if that system is complient or not off hand, but I have to ask.....why for the love of all things holy is XP installed on that machine? If it has to be on that system, then it needs an immediate memory upgrade. 256 is not enough for decent usage in XP...much less 128!!!

if i grab the most recent bios - is a reinstall totally necessary?
If the bios update is successful that is?

I'm a little worried about ruining her computer - worst case scenario from a bios update is a windows reinstall right? What if something goes wrong? i dont have any documentation for the motherboard or anything.

Ok, maybe i'll get some more ram. Dam.
Dont have a copy of win2k.

Also, her computer is not listed as supported model numbers at gateway.com - i'm wondering how i can get that bios.
(supported systems at the gateway support site )

Though updating the BIOS might give you the ability you want, you still have to have windows change its already configured hardware abstraction layer (HAL). Didn't you just do a clean install anyway or have you been using it already for awhile? Only way that I know of to change the HAL from "standard" to "advanced power configuration interface" (what you want) is to reinstall or sysprep. Sysprep will remove all the hardware info meaning you will have to reinstall her drivers, but it should leave everything else the way it is (software and profiles). Check the sticky at the top of the OS forums by Phoenix86.

i did a clean install about a month ago.
sysprep sounds a little scary, though i am an experienced windows reinstaller.

hmmmm....sysprep, reinstall, bios update, i got some thinking to do.

still cant find her system at the gateway support site to find the newest bios.
gateway support listed systems

You should be able to install acpi/HAL layer from device manager and it will require the winXP CD, if the hardware is compliant. Removing it would require a reinstall.

still cant find her system at the gateway support site to find the newest bios

Go here: Gatway Support
Enter the serial number of the computer (usually a tag on the back)........and you will get all the support links for that model.

how do you install acpi/hal from device manager?
I dont seem to have any reference to that stuff in my device manager.

responses much appreciated.

Changing the HAL within WinXP will solve your problem. I ran into the same thing while designing images at work. I had new Dell desktops that always turn off automatically like what you want. For some odd reason though, one model wouldn't. It sat at the "you may turn me off" screen.

To change the HAL (Hardware Access Layer) do the following:

Right-click on "My Computer" --> choose properties

Click on the "hardware" tab

Click on "Device Manager"

double-click on "Computer"

Right-click on "whatever option is listed under "Computer"" --> choose Update Drivers

Tell Windows "No, not this time" when it asks to connect to the internet --> click "next"

Click the radio button for "Install from a list or a specific location (Advanced)" --> click "next"

click the radio button for "Don't search. I will choose the driver to install" --> click "next"

Click "Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC" --> click "Next"

Click "Finish"

Reboot computer per Window's request

That will solve your problem. Have fun running XP with only 128MB of ram though. I do put alot of weight on the previous suggestions that more ram will be needed to keep the laptop usable.

Back