Can't get IMAP to work with port forwarding. Whats wrong?

a_kraker99

Weaksauce
For some reason I am unable to get IMAP working through my e-mail client. I had it working before with a different router setup so I don't think it is a matter of the ISP blocking port 143 unless they just started to. Any way to test that?

Anyway, the setup basically goes like this. Router 1 connects to internet and hosts network 192.168.0.x /24. Router 2 piggy backs off the wireless using DD-WRT in wireless client mode. Router 2 also hosts a NAT network at 192.168.10.x /24. This is where the computer needing to access IMAP is.

I have Router 1 forwarding port 143 to the WAN address of router 2 which is 192.168.0.14. Then I have router 2 forwarding port 143 to LAN address 192.168.10.110 (client with email). This is the correct setup right?

I have the SPI firewall on router 2 turned off and I opened port 143 on Windows Firewall. Using online port checkers I still show port 143 being blocked.

The email server you're connecting to is out there on the internet? Your mail client is behind that double nat'd router?

Well you could try an "telnet x.x.x.x 143" where x.x.x.x is either the IP adress or the hostname of your mail provider server. This should connect and return something like an server banner or just some options the server supports. For me it looks like:

Code:
* OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4 IMAP4rev1 AUTH=SCRAM-SHA-1 AUTH=DIGEST-MD5 AUTH=CRAM-MD5
AUTH=LOGIN AUTH=PLAIN CHILDREN ID IDLE MOVE MULTIAPPEND NAMESPACE QUOTA SORT UID
PLUS UNSELECT WITHIN XLIST] IMAP server ready (P1)
* BYE Autologout; idle for too long

You don't need to forward ports for outgoing traffic.

This is exactly where I was going with my question. We don't need to forward port 80 to our PC's to browse the web. You don't need to forward port 143 for IMAP.

Back