Can't get HID driver to uninstall/mouse speed problem

Surly73

[H]ard|Gawd
WinXP SP3 x86 on HP 6930p

Situation:

This is a work notebook PC. For reasons of RSI/arthritis I've needed to pull out my Kensington Expert-Mouse trackball to use most of the time. I still have a mouse for some higher precision work. It also has the two built-in pointing devices (stick and pad) which aren't used when docked.

With no drivers installed the trackball worked fine. My mouse control panel has all the standard tabs, plus each mouse vendor has put in one or two specialty tabs (synaptics stuff for the built-in, wireless/battery status for the MS Natural wireless set, button mapping for the Microsoft etc...)

I do not wish to install Mouseworks, it warned me once that it was fundamentally incompatible with Intellipoint which I need for my desktop mouse. I wanted to see if I manually selected and installed the Kensington drivers if it would create a tab in mouse properties that I could do any little amount of tuning with, like just simple button remap.

As soon as I loaded the Kensington drivers the mouse speed increased dramatically on the Kensington device, enough that it's unusable. When I switch between the trackball and any other device I have to go in and change the mouse speed or I can't use it.

So I decided to uninstall (using device manager -> uninstall). It comes back every time I plug in the trackball. I tried uninstall, then searching for the .sys etc... files and deleting them. Still comes back. I searched for WinXP driver backups, couldn't find any. Still comes back.

My memory and google is failing me on any other driver backup schemes that windows uses. This is a corporate PC and there are access restrictions on local admin so I'd like to get something definitive to try.

I need a way to permanently get rid of these HID drivers, or set different acceleration and speed settings on individual HID devices - one or the other.

Thanks in advance for any tips or pointers.

Back