Can't get FTP server software setup correctly to run behind D-Link Router. HELP!

I've done a ton of google-ing and have found a few articles. Ive tried every step recommended. I'm trying to set up Bulletproof FTP server to run on my machine so a client can upload files directly to my computer.

I previously had it set up correctly when it was just my box hooked up to the net, but I got my parents old wireless router (dlink DI-514) off of them so my GF can use the internet here too, on her laptop.

I've searched and set up my DLink router to run FTP software behind a router, as described here: http://support.dlink.com/faq/view.asp?prod_id=1341&question=ftp

and I have read into setting up passive FTP mode in Bulletproof FTP server here:
http://www.insanitor.com/bulletproof.htm#14

I've followed everything accordingly, yet when i try to access my server either by FTP software or IE, nothing happens...I cant connect. I've closed the server software, restarted the router, restarted computer...EVERYTHING.

I have checked all numbers and made sure they are entered correctly but cannot get my router to point all XX.XXX.XX.XXX:21 requested to my 192.168.0.101 IP for my computer.

Anyone successfully accomplish this?

Many thanks!

So you setup bulletproof to use port 21 for your ftp and a range after that for passive mode?

On your router do you have the port forwarding setup to forward 21 and your passive range?

Also its hard to tell from your description but are you able to connect to your ftp server on the LAN side using your ftp servers local IP? That will at least tell you if you have the ftp server setup correctly.

If you can connect using the LAN IP of the server try doing the port forwarding in the Virtual Server section of your dlink router instead of the port forwarding section.

So you setup bulletproof to use port 21 for your ftp and a range after that for passive mode?

On your router do you have the port forwarding setup to forward 21 and your passive range?

Also its hard to tell from your description but are you able to connect to your ftp server on the LAN side using your ftp servers local IP? That will at least tell you if you have the ftp server setup correctly.

If you can connect using the LAN IP of the server try doing the port forwarding in the Virtual Server section of your dlink router instead of the port forwarding section.

Yeha, I set up bulletproof ftp server to use port 21, set up passive mode with an ip that is my current IP, and set the passive range to 50000 - 50100 like the one walkthrough I read said.

I did not do anything regarding port-forwarding, as it was not listed on that D-Link tutorial. I only changed the settings that it said on the said link.

Yes I AM able to access my ftp server by doing the 192.168.0.101 and the username/password fine. Its when im trying to use my current IP to connect to THAT IP that it is glitching.

bulletproof.jpg

Is this the proper way to do it in the Virtual Server? I dunno. I've tried the 192.168.0.101 in the Private IP space as well as my 24.xxx.xx.xxxx IP and neither are working

id change the ip address of your 'server' to a static one, like 192.168.1.200 (out of the router's DHCP range. then do what u did. i think what is happening is your router is changing your computer's ipadress and sending the FTP request to another computer

if you're using a consumer-level ISP account, then chances are that incoming TCP port 20 and 21 requests are being blocked at the circuit -- long before it hits your modem. most ISP's do this to prevent people from running webhosting services from consumer-level internet accounts (mostly to get more money from the subscriber). this concept also applies for incoming requests from TCP port 80, 81, 443, and several others.

the best way to get around this is to setup port forwarding on a totally atypical and high-number port to goto your machine (ex: 44444), and also one-less than that target number (ex: 44443). set your machine's FTP server app to listen on the target port number (ex: 44444), and connect to your IP using a FTP app, but specify that target port number (ex: 44444).

and +1 to smok3d's comment on manually setting your local machine's IP/Subnet/Gateway/DNS, making sure that the IP is outside of the DHCP license range.

this method worked well for me in the past.

hth !!!

God is this confusing!

This stuff is all Greek to me. and was SO much easier NOT dealing with the router.

It cant be the port 21 thing...because it worked when my router was disconnected.

and how do i go about changing the IP of my server to a static one? is this in the DHCP?

Can ANYONE out there dumb this down so I can get it to work? I've tried so many changes of checkboxes, IP's and Port #'s I cannot get anything to be successful.

Every google attempt I follow to a T doesnt seem to work. I'm at a loss!

Ok based on your responses I think I know what you are doing wrong. If your ftp server is setup to use port 21 and the range 50000-50100 for passive then the router settings picture you included is wrong.

You need to edit 2 rules.

Rule 1 is already in there. Its titled Virtual Server FTP.
Set its Private IP field to your ftp servers LAN IP: Sounds like its 192.168.0.101

Rule 2 is the bulletproof FTP rule you posted a picture of.
Set its Private IP filed to your ftp servers LAN IP.
Since you don't have a portforwarding option I think you are going to have to setup a rule for each passive port. Instead of using 50000-50100 skim it down to something like 50000-50010.
So each port would be: Private Port: 50000 Public Port: 50000, Private Port: 50001 Public Port: 50001 etc.

If your router had a port forward option like my DLink has you can put in ranges of Ports.

Once you have that setup people should be able to connect to your FTP using your 24x ip address.

Back