Can't get a real connection

slowbiz

2[H]4U
Hey, I just bought the laptop in my sig.

The problem I'm having is this. I can't get the network card to work properly. The wireless one works great, but the wired one (Broadcom 440x 10/100 integrated controller) isn't working right. The computer thinks it's working fine, but when I plug my cable modem into it, I can't get an ip address or anything. Now, I'm not sure why this is, but the very first time I plugged it in, it did work. After a restart, nothing. I know the connection is good, because I'm using it right now on another computer, so does anyone have any ideas?

Do you get any 10/100 lights flashing?

Also, check for conflicts in the device manager.

If the NIC is good (you've tried others right?) then perhaps your firewall is too restrictive?

Is this XP?

This is XP. The firewall I use is Sygate personal firewall pro. I'm pretty sure that it's not the problem.

Did you run the network wizard.. also do you have two switches/routers daisy chained? Often that causes problems.

Dude, just unplug your modem and plug it back in once it's connected to the laptop. Most cable modems remember the MAC addess they're connected to. Just remember you have to power cycle again when you switch back to your desktop. No router right?

Oldie said:
Dude, just unplug your modem and plug it back in once it's connected to the laptop. Most cable modems remember the MAC addess they're connected to. Just remember you have to power cycle again when you switch back to your desktop. No router right?

Holy crap. I forgot about that technique. That's usually the first thing I'd try. Alright, I'll try that when I get home.

No problem! That drove me nuts once too, until I figured it out. I had a weird issue a week ago where I had spent about 6 hours trying to fix it. I finally gave up and posted the issue here, and someone posted a link to a file on majorgeeks less than an hour later, and I was done in 4 minutes. :p

Back