Can't Freaking Connect

http://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-TEW-423PI-54Mbps-Wireless-Adapter/dp/B0001DHHIY

I am using this wireless adapter (this is a desktop), and I cannot get it to connect. I just re-installed Vista, and tried to connect it, and it wouldn't with the password or anything. it just freaking won't work. I have tried everything. I have manually reset the router and modem, removed all passwords, set it to DHCP fully (I THINK!!!), done freaking everything.

I am using XP with the wired connection right now. I don't know how to freaking connect, and my other PC is connecting with a wireless connection (Linksys USB adapter), and I don't know how.

Using a WRT54GS v.4

EVERYTHING WAS FINE BEFORE I RE-INSTALLED VISTA.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Sounds to me EXACTLY like a driver issue. When you re-installed Vista- you lost the driver that worked.

Take note of the model number (I'd double check)- go download the latest from the manufacturer's website.

Alright. I installed the driver, and it went through, updated it, etc...then, the program (Trendnet) one came up, and the signal was "excellent", however, it still will not connect. The Windows one just keeps saying "identifying".

Is there a way to FULLY CLEAR ALL wireless settings from the router and computer (basically so I could start over)?

Alright. I installed the driver, and it went through, updated it, etc...then, the program (Trendnet) one came up, and the signal was "excellent", however, it still will not connect. The Windows one just keeps saying "identifying".

Is there a way to FULLY CLEAR ALL wireless settings from the router and computer (basically so I could start over)?

How long did you wait? I've known my Notebook to take awhile to get past that Identifying phase. Might try rebooting.

You can do a REPAIR (go to Networks and click the X... it'll try to find the problem and give you some suggestions) to clear stuff like the DNS cache and whatnot.

I did repair it a couple times on Vista and such. I also waited a while ALL the times I did it.

It knows the network is there, but will not connect. I have NO IDEA what to do. I am freaking pissed at it right now. I set up a static IP a while ago, and it was working before I reformated. So is there a way to clear that? In the options of the protocol thing (xp, the PC I am on now), I can set it to automatically do the settings, but then it won't connect...

I hate wireless networking.

I hate wireless networking.
As do us all.

At any rate, I had this issue once on my notebook (maybe). My issue was coming out of sleep- it shows it was connected, but I never got the little globe showing me connected to the internet.

I did an IPCONFIG /ALL and figured out my Gateway was like this:

No idea how it managed to set two gateways, but it was obviously using the first.

Check yours and see what it looks like.

I am connected. I screwed with some settings, basically reset everything in my router except removing firewall...but I did it.

Thank you for all your help.

If your base unit is wired and secure, you may have to change your settings to broadcast your SSID for the wireless to be able to detect and connect.

I just had to reinstall Windows and everything, the wireless automatically connected me to a neighbor until hubby broadcast the SSID from the router, and I had to enter a key to be able to use it.

Back