cant find windows\system32?

mattsmall

Gawd
i start my computer and when i get into windows i get an error.

cant find C:\windows\system32\system.exe

what does this mean?

widows xp pro

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices\System32 = Windows System32\system.exe

i cant find runservices

trial TDS-3 and install per the instructions in the help.txt to a nondefault directory, and manually update the definitions (links regarding that in the link above)

then > Configuration Button > Startup Tab > Check all in intialization and Startup Scanning > Save
then
Scan Control Button > Scan Options Tab > Check all except the 2 ADS options > then Available Scans > Select all move to right pane > Start Scanning

will peg you resources, and you wont be able to do anything till its done,
if there is a Trojan it should find it

might also consider trialing NOD32

Originally posted by mattsmall
i cant find runservices
there are a couple of Trojans that use the C:\windows\system32\system.exe could be under a different key
are you running regedit or regedt32?

thats the crippled version :p

and its regedt32 not regedit32 ;)
see if the key is listed with that

EDIT sorry thats for W2K (that its crippled)
Differences Between Regedit.exe and Regedt32.exe

Windows NT 4.0 and Windows 2000
Regedit.exe
Regedit.exe is included with Windows NT 4.0 and Windows 2000 primarily for its search capability. You can use Regedit.exe to make changes in the Windows NT 4.0 and Windows 2000 registry, but you cannot use it to view or edit all functions or data types on Windows NT 4.0 and Windows 2000.

The following limitations exist in the Regedit.exe version that is included with Windows NT 4.0 and Windows 2000:
You cannot set the security for registry keys.
You cannot view, edit, or search the value data types REG_EXPAND_SZ and REG_MULTI_SZ. If you try to view a REG_EXPAND_SZ value, Regedit.exe displays it as a binary data type. If you try to edit either of these data types, Regedit.exe saves it as REG_SZ, and the data type no longer performs its intended function.
You cannot save or restore keys as hive files.
Microsoft recommends that you use Regedit.exe only for its search capabilities on a Windows NT 4.0-based or Windows 2000-based computer.
Regedt32.exe
Regedt32.exe is the configuration editor for Windows NT 4.0 and Windows 2000. Regedt32.exe is used tomodify the Windows NT configuration database, or the Windows NTregistry. This editor allows you to view or modify the Windows NT registry.The editor provides views of windows that represent sections of theregistry, named hives. Each window displays two sections. On the leftside, there are folders that represent registry keys. On the right side,there are the values associated with the selected registry key. Regedt32 isa powerful tool, and you must use it with extreme caution when you changeregistry values. Missing or incorrect values in the registry can make theWindows installation unusable.

Note Unlike Regedit.exe, Regedt32.exe does not support importing and exporting registration entries (.reg) files.

Windows XP and Windows Server 2003
Regedit.exe
Regedit.exe is the configuration editor for Windows XP and Windows Server 2003. Regedit.exe is used tomodify the Windows NT configuration database, or the Windows NTregistry. This editor allows you to view or modify the Windows NT registry. It supports setting security on registry keys, viewing and editing REG_EXPAND_SZ and REG_MULTI_SZ, and saving and restoring hive files.On the leftside, there are folders that represent registry keys. On the right side,there are the values associated with the selected registry key. Regedit isa powerful tool. You must use extreme caution when you use it to changeregistry values. Missing or incorrect values in the registry can make theWindows installation unusable.
Regedt32.exe
In Windows XP and Windows Server 2003, Regedt32.exe is a small program that just runs Regedit.exe.

Originally posted by Ice Czar
thats the crippled version :p

and its regedt32 not regedit32 ;)
see if the key is listed with that

regedit and regedt32 look the same to me.

that tds-3 is scaning my computer and its finding
WORMP2P.SDROP
is this good are bad

it found 97 alarms in 5 secoonds

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/index.php?board=5

thats the public TDS-3 forum (moderated by the programmers Wayne, Gavin, Jason (Jooske is a Beta Tester) if there are any problems getting rid of them

If you buy it, there is a Private Forum, and the Customer Support is Amazing (with an Australian time lag)

should also review the freeware they offer
http://www.diamondcs.com.au/index.php?page=products

I use WSH Anti-Polymorphism Patch, and RegistryProt 2.0

(I also have WormGuard, TDS-3, and Port Explorer)

Back