Can't find MW2 matches

onetwenty8k

2[H]4U
I've googled this up the wazoo and all I can find are smart ass forum nerds saying "search" but low and behold, I can't find anything helpful except "forward your ports" which I have done.

I can't seem to find any MW2 matches except for hacked servers which connected after everything else failed searching through pings of servers. I am not at level 70 where I can prestige, I'm just level 22. The weird thing is that it had worked before but now it just won't do it.

My network setup:

FiOS internet which connects to an Actiontec mi424wr rev d. That router is set up as a bridge to my D-Link DIR-655. I have my Actiontec router (internal IP of 168.192.0.100). The subnet for the actiontec is 192.168.1.x and the D-Link is 192.168.0.x

The actiontec router is set up in the DMZ of the D-Link and for years that has worked which allows me to control ports on the D-Link side but now it simply won't work. I can connect to IWNet fine but it just doesn't find any games. There is obviously some port problem but for the life of me I can't figure it out. I have forwarded ports on both the actiontec and D-Link and they still show closed. I have turned off my windows firewall and checked again to see that they are closed. Any suggestions? Thanks.

I had the same issue with MW1 try running the .exe for multiplayer as Administrator. Worked for me. Some weird windows 7 permissions bullshit.

Other than that you gotta connect directly to rule out the router.

Last ditch would be to reinstall.

When I open up the MW2 multiplayer exe it says that Steam must be running. Steam is open but I don't think it wants to let me open the standalone EXE.

When I open up the MW2 multiplayer exe it says that Steam must be running. Steam is open but I don't think it wants to let me open the standalone EXE.

You'd wanna change the file permissions for it then to run as administrator. Right click on the file. go to properties then compatibility. Check "Run as administrator" and click ok.

i assume you're trying to do as piscian suggested and run the multiplayer as Admin? if so, steam just runs that .exe so all you have to do is navigate to it and set it to run as admin.

steamapps > common > call of duty modern warfare 2> iw4mp.exe
right click, properties, compatibility tab, check the "Run this program as administrator" box

Still no go, thank you for helping though. I find it very odd that it would work just fine and with no change it just starts crapping out.

that is strange. i used to encounter a different issue where my NAT would become "strict" and it wouldn't find matches. the only solution i came up with was to reset my router...unplug the power source, wait 30 seconds, plug back in. was a pain in the ass but it only happened from time to time.

Theres another possibility. Occasionally a patch version miss-max will occur in some games and you won't show any servers because your patch or maybe punkbuster is seen as being out of date.(I've no idea what security type MW2 uses.) You could check the file integrity through steam or reinstall. Thats all I got.

I found out that there's a "warm up" time for MW2 after a recent patch. So I have to open the game, wait a few minutes then it connects to matches just fine.

I found out that there's a "warm up" time for MW2 after a recent patch. So I have to open the game, wait a few minutes then it connects to matches just fine.

Actually I thought about mentioning this earlier but didn't know if it would be any help to your problem. I find that in general the game can locate matches much more quickly once it's been up and running for a while. Dunno if this has to do with patches or not but for me it always seems like when I first log into the game it takes a while to find matches, but then later on I can snap into games right away, with lower ping. My guess is that MW2 is downloading or fetching "server lists" in the background while it's running, so after a period of time it gets a lot easier to find matches. A "warm up" time like you said is a good way to describe it.

Back