Can't find C2D temp

ryansebiz

Limp Gawd
speedfan6so.gif

My BIOS shows my E6400 temp around 24c and the fan speed of the Tuniq Tower 120 at around 999RPM. When I enter XP and run SpeedFan it reports the only temp at 50c - which has to be the motherboard temp (Asus P5W DH Deluxe).

I can't adjust the CPU fan speed in SpeedFan and I can't see the CPU temp. What else should I try?

Doesnt' the tunique come with a fan speed controller that sits in a PCI slot?

Jesus christ you need a fan for your hard drives man. Those numbers give me the shivers. Also, sign up at speedfan's website so you can download the new beta. It supports coretemps for your cpu as well as possibly proper vcore reading (Can't remember on this one)

Jesus christ you need a fan for your hard drives man. Those numbers give me the shivers. Also, sign up at speedfan's website so you can download the new beta. It supports coretemps for your cpu as well as possibly proper vcore reading (Can't remember on this one)

OK thanks, I'll download the SpeedFan beta.

As for my hard drives, I have two fans in the "hard drive tunnel" in my P180. They're both connected to the "fan only" connector of my power supply (auto undervolt of 5v). I'll connect those two fans to regular molex connectors and see what happens with the temps.

speedfan6so.gif

My BIOS shows my E6400 temp around 24c and the fan speed of the Tuniq Tower 120 at around 999RPM. When I enter XP and run SpeedFan it reports the only temp at 50c - which has to be the motherboard temp (Asus P5W DH Deluxe).

I can't adjust the CPU fan speed in SpeedFan and I can't see the CPU temp. What else should I try?

I think you just need to configure the Temp, Fan and Speed settings in SpeedFan and set it so set fan speed automatically, that will solve your heat problem.

7915656_1024.ts1169342598000.jpg

I think you just need to configure the Temp, Fan and Speed settings in SpeedFan and set it so set fan speed automatically, that will solve your heat problem.

I just downloaded SpeedFan 4.31 (had been using 4.29). The latest version supports my CPU and north/southbridge.

Enabling auto fan control doesn't change anything. Anything else I should change?

speedfan6gk.gif

Yeah, but it won't fit in any PCI slot in my P180 - the knob is too big! I'd prefer to control it via software anyway.

umm, you do realize that the knob slips off so you can install the controller in a PCI slot when then you can put the knob back on, right?

Go to Configure-->Speeds. I have Pwm1 is my Zalman 9700 CPU fan and PWM2 is named to my Spire 120mm exhaust fan. Here I am setting the Zalman

Set the minimum speed to 60% and Max speed to 100% and check the Automatically Variated box.

7683254_1024.ts1168567516000.jpg

Now you have to click on Configure --> Temperatures think of this as the "thermostat setting" that tells the fan when to spin up. I set mine to Desired Temperature 55C Warning Temperature 60C which means at 55C the fans will speed up

7689905_1024.ts1168599633000.jpg

Now and this is the tricky part because it varies by your MB chipset, you have to adjust the CPU temperature reading from Speedfan to match not exactly but pretty close, to what TAT tells you. This is very important because you want to match it to the actual core temps so the "thermostat setting" you set up above will kick in

My Temperature 2 is the CPU so I set Temperature 2 offeset to 30C. You just have to adjust this as you go until it tracks the TAT core temp reading fairly closely

Also notice that I set the PWM1 PWM2 settings to "software controlled" this is essential because it tells your motherboard that the SpeedFan software is controlling the speed. Otherwise your BIOS will control the speed which defeats the purpose of using speedfan

You get there by Configure --> Advanced and selet your chipset from the pull down list

7663595_1024.ts1168492485000.jpg

hey wdn, did you have to use some sort of divider to get your fans to read properly? With both ds3's I've owned, et5 and bios can track rpm properly, but speedfan will be way off. I fiddled with dividers but they would be off again if I tried to vary the speed, so it doesn't seem like a linear ratio.

Also, get the latest beta from speedfan. It'll be able to read coretemps (like what tat tells you).

Also an excellent tool to check SpeedFan is Everest home edition. Look at this screenshot.

Everest shows Aux temperature and that corresponds to the Motherboard temperature in Speedfan

It shows the temperature settings of the two fans which are very close but not an exact match to Speedfan RPM but you can figure it out

The reason I am telling you this is that Everest does not include the CPU temperature setting so the missing one in Speedfan is the one that the CPU temp. I mention this because at the begining you said you assumed that one of the temps displayed by SpeedFan happened to be the CPU temp but this tells you for sure. Notice also that the Hard Drive temp shows up in Everest and you can also match it to Speedfan readings.

7918585_1024.ts1169348603000.jpg

hey wdn, did you have to use some sort of divider to get your fans to read properly? With both ds3's I've owned, et5 and bios can track rpm properly, but speedfan will be way off. I fiddled with dividers but they would be off again if I tried to vary the speed, so it doesn't seem like a linear ratio.

Also, get the latest beta from speedfan. It'll be able to read coretemps (like what tat tells you).

Good question Ziddley. I have to play around with the dividers in Speedfan so the RPM readings are sane.

I have Fan 1 divisor and Fan 2 divisor both set to 8 and it gives pretty good readings. I match them up against Everest Home Edition. I think some guys get soured on SpeedFan or think it is junk but don't realize you have to put some time into configuring it correctly. After you spend the time to set it up properly Speedfan is very reliable. It really is just what the author says, a tool for the power user.

I am going to wait for the 4.32 release after the beta thanks

Thanks wdn for all your help.

Judging from the comparisons of SpeedFan beta, TAT and Everest, I think I've identified the E6400.

While SpeedFan and TAT report temps of 41c, my motherboard reports around 25c in the BIOS. How big a difference is there between SpeedFan and TAT?

When I changed the PWM control in the Advanced settings my Tuniq Tower's RPMs jumped from 900 to 2,000. I can really hear it now. Anyway to get it back down around 1,000 RPMs?

speedfan2fn.gif

Shouldn't my E6400 be running cooler with its Tuniq Tower?

temps8vy.gif

Having trouble determining which sensor is my E6400: CPU or Core 0/1.

fans4yl.gif

My case fans are all connected via molex - the only motherboard-connected fans are my Power Supply and Tuniq Tower.

advanced0md.gif

30 temperate 2 offset and Manual PWM. There was no Software option, only Manual PWM Control, Thermal Cruise, Fan Speed Cruise and <reserved>.

tat3po.gif

everest5oq.gif

Everest helps me find my motherboard temp in SpeedFan.

core0/1 are the temps for each of the cores. Why do you have such a difference between the two cores in that pic where it shows samples? Did you compensate core0?

I think 1 or 2 settings are still not quite right. Looking at your screenshot

You have automatic settings on but Speed01 is showing up as 100%. Try this. Uncheck the box that says Automatic fan speed. Open your PC case so you can look at the Tuniq tower.

Go to your Speed01 box that currently reads 100% and click on the down arrow until it gets down to 50% reading. Do you see and hear your Tuniq tower slow down. Just for a brief moment keep slowing down until you reach 0% does the Tuniq tower fan acutally stop? Now check the box Automatic speed control does the Tuniq tower fan turn on again and spin up? Whatever happens don't leave the Tuniq fan stopped.

If the answer to all these questions is Yes I recommend you go to Configure-->Speed and find Speed01 and set it Minimum and Maximum speeds. Set minimum to whatever value the sound is nice and quiet and set maximum to 100% now check the Automatically variated box.

What I actually do is go into Configure->Speed and check ALL the speed boxes and then play with them on the main screen so I am sure which speed manually controls which fan.

Now the other thing to do is this: The Tuniq Tower should only be controlled by Core0 temp and Core1 temp. So go to Configure --> Temperature setting. You notice a little + sign in front of each of the Temperatures. Well when you click on that + sun it lists all the Speed settings that are controlled by that Temp setting. Click on the temeratures and for Core0 and Core1 make sure that the Speed01 box is checked and uncheck all the other boxes This tells it that Core0 and Core1 temperatures will control Speed01 which is your Tuniq.

Also look at all the other Temps listed like your motherboard and HD's and make sure you UNCHECK the Speed01 box from them. You don't want your hard drives' temperature making the Tuniq speed up and slow down do you? Then uncheck the Speed01 box from all the other temp readings except for Core0 and Core1.

finally I suggest you rename Speed01 to Speed01: Tuniq so you always remember that Speed01 controls the Tuniq. Hope this helps. Let's take this one step at a time.

speedfan2fn.gif

Yeah, but it won't fit in any PCI slot in my P180 - the knob is too big! I'd prefer to control it via software anyway.

Just remove the knob cover (round thing), put the backplate in, then attach the knob cover.

What I actually do is go into Configure->Speed and check ALL the speed boxes and then play with them on the main screen so I am sure which speed manually controls which fan.

That did it! The problem was, under Speeds, I had configured Speed01 when I should have changed Speed02 (PWM2 sensor).

I changed my Speed names to PWM1, PWM2 (Tuniq Tower), etc.

Also look at all the other Temps listed like your motherboard and HD's and make sure you UNCHECK the Speed01 box from them. Then uncheck the Speed01 box from all the other temp readings except for Core0 and Core1.

OK, only the Tuniq Tower fan speed (PWM2) is the only thing checked for E6400 Core 0 and Core 1 (see pic below):

sf5fu.gif

temps8db.gif

fans1ci.gif

speeds5df.gif

advanced6qj.gif

Just a few questions:

1. Is it impossible to control the Power Supply fan because there is no sensor? If so, should I uncheck it?
2. Why is there such a high disparity in CPU temperature from what the BIOS (22c-25c) and SpeedFan/TAT (45c-50c) show?
3. Are my settings ready for overclocking?
- Automatic fan speed
- Temps: Desired 55c Warning 60c
- Speeds: Minimum value 60&#37; Maximum value 100%
- Advanced: Temperature 2 offset 30

Very useful thread, thanks guys... as soon as I get my OC 100&#37; happy, I'll definitely be coming back here to get my fans running quieter. Anyway, ryansebiz, I think I can answer a couple of your questions.

The discrepancy between the temperature that the BIOS reports and what TAT or Core Temp (great little proggie) report is because they use different methods to measure the temp. The BIOS (and SpeedFan too I'm pretty sure) use a sensor on the mobo which is really close to the CPU but obviously not inside it. But C2D processors are able to monitor their own internal temperature and store it as a digital value in a certain register. Programs like TAT and Core Temp give a much more accurate temp reading by getting that value directly from the CPU.

Are you ready to OC? I say go for it! It's a bit a matter of preference, but most kids on this board will tell you load temps <65C are totally safe, so you've got at least 10 degrees of headroom.

The BIOS (and SpeedFan too I'm pretty sure) use a sensor on the mobo which is really close to the CPU but obviously not inside it. But C2D processors are able to monitor their own internal temperature and store it as a digital value in a certain register. Programs like TAT and Core Temp give a much more accurate temp reading by getting that value directly from the CPU.

Hey thanks Paul. Now I understand what the discrepancy is from. So you would go by the TAT temp as the official temp?

Are you ready to OC? I say go for it! It's a bit a matter of preference, but most kids on this board will tell you load temps <65C are totally safe, so you've got at least 10 degrees of headroom.

Yeah man I'm ready. I've only ever OC'd one time before (via BIOS) and after I changed the first timings the computer wouldn't POST. It wasn't a high end system, but I fried the mobo and/or the AMD XP processor. So after I get my fans setup a well researched OC approach is next up.

I'd absolutely call the temperature TAT reports "official." It's a more accurate measurement, mos def.

As far as getting your overclock going, here is what I would advise:

1. Google your mobo model number + "overclock" + "bios" and see if there's a consensus in various forums about which BIOS version gives the best results. Flash that BIOS on the board, carefully following all the instructions.

2. While you're reading those forums, make some notes on the FSB speeds that others are achieving with that board and what settings they used to get there, especially vFSB and vMCH (that's Frontside Bus voltage and Memory Controller Host voltage, respectively).

3. Make SURE you understand the relationship between the FSB speed and DDR2 memory speed. This can be confusing because not all BIOSes use the same terminology for this stuff.

Most successful C2D overclocks are running the memory at "1:1 ratio," which means basically that the FSB and the RAM are going through the same number of cycles per second. The confusing part here is that because of the way DDR2 modules work, their "effective clock speed" will be double that. Examples:

FSB........divider/ratio.....DDR2 actual.......DDR2 effective
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
266MHz.......2:3................400MHz..................800MHz
300MHz.......3:4................400MHz..................800MHz
400MHz.......1:1................400MHz..................800MHz
450MHz.......1:1................450MHz..................900MHz
475MHz.......1:1................475MHz..................950MHz

Hope this helps clear a few things up. Fortunately, I don't think you're going to run into many problems. According to your signature, it looks like you've got a good PSU, good mobo, great CPU, and great RAM. I bet you'll be surprised at the massive overclock you can get out of that rig. Just take things one step at a time and write down the changes you make and their results so that you can provide good info when asking for help or advice, and you should be jake.

Thanks ziddley. I got the beta and I really enjoy the coretemp readings.

Oddly enough, putting the side panel back on my case improved my P180's hard drive tunnel airflow and lowered temps:

coolhds5rr.gif

Back