can't edit IE options...

i went to change my startup page in IE away from this damn isearch.com thing, (btw, i can't get rid of it with spybot, anyone have ideas?) and found that i somehow don't have administrative privelages on my own computer... i shrugged it off thinking it was some adware crap that got into my computer... but then installed xp on a freshly formatted computer, and went to get into ie options and got the same message... my computers are networked with a d-link router... i am the only user on both computers, neither are password protected... i did fill in the "domain" option in my d-link router, but later took that out. what is telling my computers that i don't have access to change my own IE setttings?

thanks

scott

ok... i am checking the "users" section of my xp computer... i have an "ASP.net machine A.." user added? it is limited and pasword protected... what is this????

ok... it is on my mom's 2 computers too.... can you just not have computers on a network that automatically log in? i don't want to have to log into computers in our own house, that seems kinda dumb...

i even connected a win2000 computer to my mom's computer with a crossover cable, and can't get into ie settings on that comp..

or is my problem nwlink, or netbeui.

i really need to figure out how to make a network work with purely tcp/ip.. does it reqire a server? or a domain instead of workgroup?

ok, i can right click on internet explorer

i figured it out... good old spybot.... i checked a box to lock the startup page...

So.. lets catalogue your problems:

1) Spyware/adware has hijacked your browser
2) Can't access IE options
3) Don't have administrative access on computer
4) Problem has spread across network
5) Curious as to who this other user is
6) Connected another computer and the problem has spread to that one too (??? badly worded)
7) You're not sure what network protocol you're running

Mm... probably better off with a few different threads in appropiate sections rather than all lumped together incoherently here. Still, lets have a crack at it.

1) Try hijackthis. It's the most likely one to fix your browser problem. Find it yourself.

2) See above

3) If you're in the admin account already, or one with full admin privlidges... then you've got problems.

4) Ooh boy... it's not a virus is it? You do have AV installed everywhere... right?

5) .NET?

6) No idea.

7) TCP/IP isn't really too hard to work out. It's actually quite easy, especially given the vast amount of documentation out there- and on your computer.

Go Start -> Help and Support -? Networking and the Web

Read all the material relating to home networking- then there's even a wizard in there for you.

On a side note, one of the key points in recieiving useful answers on forums or Usenet is being able to use Occams Razor on your problem- distill it down to it's absolute essentials, post them, post your hardware/software then ask nicely for help with that one specific problem.

Back