Cant digitally transfer audio from a dvd

All Reet 74

Weaksauce
Here's the dilema:

I've got a dvd full of performances by The Doors. I want to transfer the audio digitally. I can do it in analog, but digital is of course better.

So, I run my optical cable from my dvd player into my audigy 2's live drive. So far, so good. I hit play on the dvd and begin recording with creative's shitty software. The levels on the recording software are moving, giving me the impression that audio is being picked up.

However, when I stop the recording to listen to what I have transfered so far, I get nothing but an obnoxious clicking noise. I'm guessing that this is some type of 'digital copy protection'.

My question-- is there anyway around this? This isnt a store bought dvd... its one that a friend of mine compiled.... thats why I'm a little confused about the copy protection. He said he couldnt digitally transfer the audio either. I've tried other pieces of software-- cool edit, soundforge and goldwave... all had the same results.

Is there any piece of software or anything that will let me tigitally transfer this audio?

Thanks much

Is this a video or audio DVD? For a video DVD you'd use a program like.. I dunno, DVDDecryptor or something to extract the AC3 stream(s).

Audio DVDs I don't think there's a solution for, but then, I don't see how your friend could have produced one.

Guess you could try http://www.alivemedia.net/mp3recorder.htm then, but I don't know if that one introduces more conversions.

Actually, I just figured it out

It's a video dvd and all I had to do was switch an option on my dvd player.... there was one for the digital audio stream. I switched it to stream pcm and now it works perfectly.

Problem solved.

Back