• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Can't delete file!

jimnms

Gawd
Joined
Mar 15, 2003
Messages
882
Not really sure if this is the right place to post this, but last night while trying to download the new BF1942 patch, the first place I tried downloading from was a bittorent link. The download was going too slow (>1kb/sec) so I cancled it. I got a total of 200k. I tried deleting the file, but it kept saying the file was in use, even after a reboot.

I booted to safe mode, but still got the same message. The permissions on the file showed I had full read/write permissions on it.

I did manage to get rid of it, but I had to go back to that site and let it finish downloading, which took hours. I had already gotten it from a faster ftp mirror.

I tried posting to the bittorent support group, but there hasn't been any activity there in days. If I wasn't able to let the download finish, how could I have gotten rid of this file, just in case it ever happens again?
 
check for instances of bittorrent in your task manager and if there's something in there , kill/end it.
you could use a program called EndItAll (use google to find it) shouln't be hard.

Otherwise i'd go into your windows temp folder and delete everything there then try again

use latest version of bittorrent
best one IMH: http://bt.degreez.net/
S-5.5.8
 
you have to go into your console and use the del command with the /f switch to force the delete.

Have had that problem many times before in winxp.
 
I employ a nice little windows explorer shell extension (off the right click menu) called WhoLockMe which can often let you know what processes are employing the file so you can shut them down and delete it without resorting to more time consuming (but sure fired) methods ;)

as st4rk points out the commandline is hard to beat

Del reference
Command Prompts Reference
 
Having same problem again, this time trying to download DesertCombat .7. I've tried del /f, doesn't work. I downloaded wholockme, and it shows explorer.exe as the process holding the file.

What's weird is I can move the file around, but I can't delete it. I can't resume the download this time, for some reason the original torrent link I was using is gone.

I am using the latest version of bittorent, I never had this problem until I installed the newest version.
 
Well I finally got it. I had to boot to safe mode with command prompt so it didn't load explorer. I was finally able to delete the damn file.
 
Back
Top