Can't decide which processor for Gaming/Editing...

Mikerocks2112

Limp Gawd
I know the obvious answer is 3770k...but I'm having a hard time justifying the $150 premium over the 3570k (will be purchasing at Microcenter).

Programs I will be using to edit:
Pro Tools
Avid
Photoshop
Lightroom

I don't care how it performs in a benchmark. What I care about is REAL WORLD performance. Are we talking a few milliseconds/seconds faster?

Or you could get a 2600k that happens to be at clearance prices now and work in p67, z68, and z77 boards. IB is only a couple percentage points faster per clock but overclocks slightly less under most situations. I'm sure the hyperthreading and higher overclock will net you more performance than the 3570k for only a few dollars more without breaking the budget like a 3770k would.

I was thinking about that...

I would like to stick with newer tech since this is the first build I've done in awhile (been using a laptop). Dumb reason, I know.

I don't think IB offers a huge performance increase over SB, maybe slightly more efficient. I'd get a 2600k.

For editing I would take a 2600K over the 3570K - photo editing programs and the like are only becoming better optimised for more cores.

If I were you I would do what I'm doing now. Try to snag a deal on a 2500k. I've seen them go for about 140-165 or so on these forums and OCN. Then, In a year, upgrade to the second generation of Ivy Bridge chips.

They will have all of the kinks worked out by then and it will be a much better chip. The 3570k is essentially the same thing as the 2500k but heats up faster when OCing.

I would still go with a Z77 board though.

Good luck!

If I were you I would do what I'm doing now. Try to snag a deal on a 2500k. I've seen them go for about 140-165 or so on these forums and OCN. Then, In a year, upgrade to the second generation of Ivy Bridge chips.

They will have all of the kinks worked out by then and it will be a much better chip. The 3570k is essentially the same thing as the 2500k but heats up faster when OCing.

I would still go with a Z77 board though.

Good luck!

But as the OP said he'd get a $50 deal off a Z77 board if he got a 3570k at microcenter, and I don't think the 2500k is $50 cheaper than a 3570k AFAIK.

Back to my original question...is there a REAL WORLD performance difference between the i5 and i7?

Not too huge unless you using very threaded programs. Like h264 encoding etc. If there is good deal on 2500k, get that.. esp if u can get it for under 170 or even at 150, I got 2500k + z68 board last year about this time for 220 at MC, been really happy with it. Could have save even more if i went with the cheaper gigabyte MB.

For gaming the benefits of i7 isn't significant over i5. I can't really speak to other purposes, but in an ~4 minute neural network simulations for one of my classes, a 2600k was about 15-20 seconds faster than a 3570k.

Dude get a nice i5 2500k and OC that sucker! That's what I'm doing. CPU still kicks butt.

Protools, photoshop, and lightroom are all going to feel about the same no matter what you get.

However, if you work with video content a lot in Avid and encode longer videos somewhat often don't even bother with a quad core. Go six or eight core, however you will need to change to X79 which is going to add some cost...

If that's not an option go with the 3570k and save the extra money or spend it on ram if you haven't already planned for 16Gb.

Unless you work for Pixar or something I'd say just get a Sandy 2500K/2600K and overclock it, or get a Ivy and mildly overclock it.

If that's not an option go with the 3570k and save the extra money or spend it on ram if you haven't already planned for 16Gb.

After much research, I've decided to go with this.

I work in entertainment, but not on the production side. I'm learning Avid/Pro Tools to increase my skill set. I can deal with a few additional seconds/minutes. In no way am I hardcore enough to justify a 2011 setup.

Thanks everyone for the advice!

Back