• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Can't Decide on PSU for new setup

EbolaZaire

n00b
Joined
Aug 16, 2004
Messages
40
I thought I'd stop in here and just get my choice of an Antec TruePower 550W PSU confirmed. Instead all I have now are questions from reading a few threads. Before I start asking these questions, here's what is going to be powered off of the PSU

A64 3500+ (watercooled)
MSI K8N Neo2 or what ever it's called
1GB OCZ 3700EB (512x2)
eVGA 6800 GT (watercooled)
3 Hard drives
2 cd-rom drives
DangerDen 12V Pump
(http://www.dangerden.com/mall/Pumps/dd12vd4.asp)
which is the heart of the whole water cooling setup

It's all going into a Cooler Master Stacker Case with several fans inside, especially two 120mm fans on the double heatercore.

As I said, my original plan was an Antec TruePower 550W. But I've noticed a lot of people that seem to like
a) The TruePower TrueControl version which looked like a gimmick at first but now might actually have some use
b) Antec NeoPower
c) Fortron 530W
d) Vantec of some sort


The main thing I'm worried about is a rock steady 12V rail (I think?) to keep the pump running. People in the "post your PSU thread" seemed to love the Fortron PSUs but commented on issues with the 12V rail. Is this a real problem? Where can you buy these Fortron PSUs anyhow?

To be honest, I have only the slightest bit of knowledge regarding PSUs. I know that just getting the highest wattage PSU doesn't mean a damn thing. People in other threads were talking about how the Fortron outperforms other PSUs, and people were talking about modding their PSUs and I'm getting pretty confused here.

What should I get for my PSU given the system and the neccessities? And if it's possible could somebody explain about what makes Fortrons so good, or what this PSU modding business is or point me in the direction of such information? I really just need to know what PSU you guys would recommend and what's the difference between the four I listed up there.
 
Wow, while that is a bit ricey for my tastes I must say it looks quite impressive. From what I've seen the Amps on the 12V line is more important than the overall wattage of the PSU, and this one has 34A...

So what's the important differences between that PSU, the Antec TrueControl 550W PSU (http://www.excaliberpc.com/product_info.php?cPath=208_612&products_id=1950), the Fortron 530W PSU (http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=17-104-968&depa=0), and the Antec NeoPower 480W PSU (http://www.excaliberpc.com/product_info.php?products_id=4083)
 
Now I may catch flak for this, but I wouldn't touch an Antec PSU with a 10 foot pole. I've had 2 430W trupowers go bad on me, the 2nd happened within a matter of a few months.

Now I'm running a Sparkle 550W... 36 amps of 12V goodness...
 
bump in hope of advice on the differences between the PSU's I mentioned. I don't have any particular bias towards Antec, that's just the name I know.

Just to make this a not completely useless bump, this is the motherboard I'm looking at...
http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=K8N_Neo2_Platinum&class=mb

The only sparkle PSU I could find was this one, which is EPS12V http://www.excaliberpc.com/product_info.php?cPath=208_612&products_id=2267

Will these work together or does the motherboard not conform to the same standard? I was looking at the Watts don't mean Jack thread and it looks like they wouldn't be happy playing together?
 
Have a look at my post history and you'll see the last 4-5 posts I have made all said the same thing...

Fortron 530. One of the very best PSU's you can find and it's very reasonably priced. Many of the best overclockers have used them, tested them and vouched for them. While I'm by no means as extreme as those guys I can say that mine runs my system and the rails don't even blip. Additionally, the rails are adjustable by opening the case if you need to. I use these PSU's exclusively now and I've built about 4-5 computers with 350 and 400 waat Fortrons as well.

Warden
 
EbolaZaire said:
I thought I'd stop in here and just get my choice of an Antec TruePower 550W PSU confirmed. Instead all I have now are questions from reading a few threads. Before I start asking these questions, here's what is going to be powered off of the PSU

A64 3500+ (watercooled)
MSI K8N Neo2 or what ever it's called
1GB OCZ 3700EB (512x2)
eVGA 6800 GT (watercooled)
3 Hard drives
2 cd-rom drives
DangerDen 12V Pump
(http://www.dangerden.com/mall/Pumps/dd12vd4.asp)
which is the heart of the whole water cooling setup

It's all going into a Cooler Master Stacker Case with several fans inside, especially two 120mm fans on the double heatercore.

As I said, my original plan was an Antec TruePower 550W. But I've noticed a lot of people that seem to like
a) The TruePower TrueControl version which looked like a gimmick at first but now might actually have some use
b) Antec NeoPower
c) Fortron 530W
d) Vantec of some sort


The main thing I'm worried about is a rock steady 12V rail (I think?) to keep the pump running. People in the "post your PSU thread" seemed to love the Fortron PSUs but commented on issues with the 12V rail. Is this a real problem? Where can you buy these Fortron PSUs anyhow?

To be honest, I have only the slightest bit of knowledge regarding PSUs. I know that just getting the highest wattage PSU doesn't mean a damn thing. People in other threads were talking about how the Fortron outperforms other PSUs, and people were talking about modding their PSUs and I'm getting pretty confused here.

What should I get for my PSU given the system and the neccessities? And if it's possible could somebody explain about what makes Fortrons so good, or what this PSU modding business is or point me in the direction of such information? I really just need to know what PSU you guys would recommend and what's the difference between the four I listed up there.

We've had some good experience with Enermax power supplies and the MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum.
 
EbolaZaire said:
Wow, while that is a bit ricey for my tastes I must say it looks quite impressive. From what I've seen the Amps on the 12V line is more important than the overall wattage of the PSU, and this one has 34A...

So what's the important differences between that PSU, the Antec TrueControl 550W PSU (http://www.excaliberpc.com/product_info.php?cPath=208_612&products_id=1950), the Fortron 530W PSU (http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=17-104-968&depa=0), and the Antec NeoPower 480W PSU (http://www.excaliberpc.com/product_info.php?products_id=4083)


ricey? dude... its about being able to organize and keep the case clear of unused wires.. i wish i could do that! lol...
 
Jason711 said:
ricey? dude... its about being able to organize and keep the case clear of unused wires.. i wish i could do that! lol...


I was referring more to the UV reactive cable sleeves than the plug in wires. The plug in wires serve a functional purpose which I really like, the UV reactive sleeves are just there for looks. That's not going to stop me from buying one if I go with this PSU but if there was an option for non UV reactive sleeves that was cheaper or the same price with more wires or something I'd definitely pass on the UV reactive sleeves. It's just an aesthetic thing that I'd rather not pay for. That's what I meant about seeming like rice.
 
The fortron 530 is a great choice but the fortron 550w is a tad better and future-proof (from a cable and pin standpoint). The 550w also has dual +12v rails @ a TRUE 18a each = 36a total. Fortron/Sparkle FSP psu have a very long track record of high quality and i wouldn't sweat buying one, just buy one from a reputable merchant. BTW, I've yet to see the ULTRA psu tested the way a psu should and thus....is still untrustworthy in my book ;)

The antec true 550 might not have enough +12v juice to power a fully decked & oc'd rig + exotic projects. The stickied recommendation list is a great reference imho.
 
SJetski71 said:
The fortron 530 is a great choice but the fortron 550w is a tad better and future-proof (from a cable and pin standpoint). The 550w also has dual +12v rails @ a TRUE 18a each = 36a total. Fortron/Sparkle FSP psu have a very long track record of high quality and i wouldn't sweat buying one, just buy one from a reputable merchant.


The only fortron 550w I can find has 24 pin connectors and they're EPS12V... will that work with my motherboard or do I need to buy other pieces to make it work? If I'm looking at the wrong one, could you link me to the right one from a reputable merchant?

I tried figuring out what the deal with EPS12V is in the Watts != jack thread and became thoroughly confused; at some times it sounded like it would be directly compatible and then the next sentence like it would never work, and then that I'd just need to get some weird convertors...?
 
What about the 8 pin aux connecter? I found a converter for that on SPI's website, do I need one of those too?

http://www.sparklepower.com/proAccessories.html

CBL-ATX24P-20P and CBL-12V8P-4P are what I'd need? Where can I find both of these to purchase? Does Newegg have them hidden away in some arcance category or do I need to call up SPI directly?

Also, what's the advantage of dual 18A 12V rails as opposed to a PSU that has 34A on a single 12V rail? I can see the redundancy aspect but I'm not really that electrically proficient so it's probably something else entirely.
 
Back
Top