Can't Decide on 13-14" Notebook

Blt44

Limp Gawd
I'm looking for a new notebook, preferably around 13", maybe 14" if it is small/light.

I've been looking at the Dell Studio XPS 13 but I can't keep looking at the 13" Macbook Pro. My friend just picked up a Macbook Pro and I played around with it for a little while. I certainly like the size and slim form of it, and while I dislike OS X, I can always bootcamp it.

I'm looking for suggestions for other notebooks to check out, but I'd like to keep it rather small and portable since I do have a desktop. It doesn't need to be a supremely powerful desktop replacement, but I don't want netbook-like specs. I also hate when laptops burn my lap after short usage, and I know the XPS isn't exactly the coolest running. A cool running notebook would actually be a pretty strong selling point for me.

Price range I would like to keep it under what a Macbook Pro would cost me, that's a little on the high end as it is.

Thanks in advance.

No point in buying a Mac if you dislike its OS.

An excellent 14" laptop is HP's Elitebook 6930.

What's your price range or max anyway... that's always a big factor in these types of recommendations. And are you more interested in form or function... flash over substance, etc.

Preferably under about $1200.

I'll look into the Elitebook 6930p, looks like a solid alternative.

Check the dell studio 14z personally I don't normally like dell but it's thin and light. And it looks pretty good once combined with the cover options they give you, not to mention it starts at just 650 but then again it is a dell so really it is up to you.

There's a few Elitebook 6930p models on fleaBay right now, one of 'em is loaded with 4GB, just under $900... wow, how come I never even heard of these before. I owned an nx7400 earlier this year, about 2.5 years old, with a 15.4" screen (I swapped out the LCD panels from the factory 1280x800 to a 1680x1050), so this Elitebook is basically a 14.1" version of the same machine, just a bit tinier form factor.

Damned fine hardware, and of course, throw an extended battery on it and you're easily looking at 10 hours of runtime... or even longer.

Worth checking into...

I'd advise against the Timeline if you're intending to play HD video or otherwise do fairly intensive "casual" tasks. I tried a Dell Adamo with a 1.4GHz Core 2 Duo and it barely managed YouTube's pseudo HD, let alone real 720p or higher.

The EliteBook might be an option, but don't rule out the MacBook Pro -- and try Mac OS X in earnest. It's one of those operating systems where it may not click until you've lived with it for a few days (maybe even a bit longer). That and it's hard to ignore 7 hours of battery life, 9400M video and a very thin, sturdy design. I own a unibody MacBook (what the 13-inch MBP used to be) and love it even as someone who regularly tries Windows notebooks.

The Lenovo Thinkpad R400, T400, T400s and the Dell Latitude E5400, and the E6400 are some ideas. All are 14 inch. Maybe a Latitude E4300 for a 13 inch.

While the battery life on the new MBPs is considerable, 7 hours is pushing it as a realistic claim for everyday use. Anand's recent testing was somewhat skewed and not a lot was going on, and when he did get into some more activity, the battery life dropped down as expected. I mean, I give credit to Apple for the redesign as they've done: eliminating all that extra gunk just to have a quick-removable battery did allow them to significantly enlarge the actual battery, as well as the fact that they've altered the version construction of the battery itself all plays into it.

The 13.3" MBP is a fine machine, but if I bought one I'd wipe it after I tested it out of the box and then put Windows 7 on it natively, but that's just me of course.

The Elitebooks have some damned long battery life, similar performance as the hardware is very close save for onboard video perhaps (I did see some Elitebooks with discrete graphics out there), and are solid machines to be up for consideration.

If I had the choice, I'd grab that Elitebook with 4GB I saw on fleaBay earlier, grab an extended battery and be happy with roughly 10 hours of useful (similar to the same testing that Apple claims gets 6+ hours of battery life on the 15" MBP these days). Under $900 for that laptop + the cost of an extended battery or two for potentially 15-20 hours of battery life... well under the cost of even the 13.3" MBP, and in some respects more capable I'd say.

And while I do like the new ThinkPad T400s, that price... ouch... I mean, ouch ouch. It's nice, it's very very nice, but that price just kills it for me... and most likely the OP as well.

<plonk, plonk, the sound of my $.02...>

Thinkpad R400 is a fantastic option. It's not too expensive, the ptions are good, and it's very, very well made.

I'd advise against the Timeline if you're intending to play HD video or otherwise do fairly intensive "casual" tasks. I tried a Dell Adamo with a 1.4GHz Core 2 Duo and it barely managed YouTube's pseudo HD, let alone real 720p or higher.
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2347666,00.asp

The reviewer says
The 720p and 1080p video clips I played back were stutter-free.
Of course it is pcmag...but I'd like to believe the C2D in this 3810 can play HD. I've been looking at it myself since it's about the right size & weight with decent specs.

The Vaio Z was my only other consideration for a 13" when I bought my macbook umb (current 13" pro). They are very nice, and at the time, Microcenter had the Z530 for $1250, but I'm sure you can find one for around that still.

Also, I like the Elitebook 6930p, I've worked on a few at the office, and while they are very nice notebooks, they are not in the same size class as the macbook/vaio z, it was just too big for me.

If you don't care about integrated video, check out the Asus U81 at bestbuy. It's a pretty darn well made laptop for $649. The loaded U80V should be coming out soon online. Supposedly it'll have a backlit keyboard, multitouch touchpad (also crazily backlit), an ATI 4570, and a faster processor. Rumored price is $899.

Wow the U80V looks really good, especially at 899. Any idea when it's supposed to be out?

Edit: Read mid-July.

Last edited:
While it looks nice, it appears too underpowered. I'd also think I'd prefer something with discrete graphics rather than integrated and a more powerful cpu, so I don't have any issues with video playback.

The U80V looks promising, I may keep looking around til it's available. Still strongly considering a MBP as well.

Any other suggestions are welcome.

I've got an m1330 and I love it. Perfect size, weight, power, battery life. A great machine. You can find them used but still under warranty all over the place for fairly cheap.

Perhaps a Latitude E6400 or a Thinkpad R400? Both are 14 inchers with discrete graphics as an option.

Considered a M1330, but. Runs too hot, and a little more on the bulky side. Not saying it's big/heavy, but bigger than what I'm looking for.

Like some others have pointed out, have a look at some Thinkpads. There are really the best for the money you are looking to spend.

The Studio XPS 13 is going to be the best for gaming. I have one, and it plays older DX9 games with ease. I like my desktop better though, so I'm in the process of selling off my SXPS 13. It's a fantastic little laptop though. Keyboard is really nice to type on, LED screen looks good, it's fast overall too.

I would probably pick a VAIO because I really like the design.

Considered a M1330, but. Runs too hot, and a little more on the bulky side. Not saying it's big/heavy, but bigger than what I'm looking for.

wouldn't go with it... it's last gen stuff, and 8400 problems... (i have the m1330+8400 bought last year with 4 yr warranty, was top of the line stuff then except with the overheating problems...)

Back