• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Can't Decide (MP3 Player)

Carlosinfl

Loves the juice
Joined
Sep 25, 2002
Messages
6,633
My mom wants the iPod video or The Creative Zen Vision. They are both simular in size and price. This is for my mom and she does not want to use iTunes to transfer music and video so I am not sure if the iPod can do this but can you guys help me select the best for my mom. I recommended the Creative since it works on Linux and Windows and it just seems to be a better product.

(Yes, my mom uses Linux)

Creative
 
I've had the Zen Vision:M since January and love it. It works real well with WMP11 and an URGE subscription.-- tracks transfer and synch nicely. Downloaded Xvid files (e.g. Bitcomet) transfer without having to convert or reformat-- and look beautiful.

What's the name of the old school player? I-poo or something like that :p
 
Just a thought; but, you may want to wait until the new Zune player (Microsoft) comes out and take a look at it too.
 
rblews said:
Just a thought; but, you may want to wait until the new Zune player (Microsoft) comes out and take a look at it too.

Sorry - I would never buy a Microsoft product.
 
I'd go with the zen vision: M I've got a zmp and it's a great player. I'd love to get a zvm someday because it has the line out... but it's not necessary and I'll stick w/ what I've got :D
 
I have not used a Creative audio player in a bit, but when I did they were not well supported on linux. iPod has a rather large support on linux. Many OSS projects out there that work well with the iPod. I hate iTunes yet love my iPod. You do not need iTunes to use an iPod and may find other solutions work even better than iTunes on linux or on Windows.

I would check in on the support for creative on linux, they had a little bit of support about 4 years ago but it was far from stable. Maybe now it is better. The thing that made creative such a pain is the device did not connect as a standard mass storage device so you need a device driver to work with it. ipods are just mass storage devices on thing is the music data has to be placed in a special location and a tag database created in a spefic format. However connecting to the device is no different than a usb drive.
 
Back
Top