Can't decide between AGP cards

Nabuca

n00b
Hi everyone,
I'm thinking about buying a new gfx card for my old system since I can't afford a new one.
My system: P4 3.00Ghz HT, 1GB DDR ram and a Radeon 9800 Pro. I would like to play HL Ep2 smoothly as well as Bioshock... other games too but those are my main concerns. I'm thinking about buying another gig of ram as well.
I can't decide between: X1950Pro, HD2600XT or 7950 GT. HD2600 is cheaper but I heard the X1950 Pro is a good bit faster. The 7950 is not really an option but I put it just in for consideration. Also, 256MB or 512MB version on the HD2600?
Will those cards bring any performance boost to my system or is that wasted money? Or does anyone have another advice for me?

Hi everyone,
I'm thinking about buying a new gfx card for my old system since I can't afford a new one.
My system: P4 3.00Ghz HT, 1GB DDR ram and a Radeon 9800 Pro. I would like to play HL Ep2 smoothly as well as Bioshock... other games too but those are my main concerns. I'm thinking about buying another gig of ram as well.
I can't decide between: X1950Pro, HD2600XT or 7950 GT. HD2600 is cheaper but I heard the X1950 Pro is a good bit faster. The 7950 is not really an option but I put it just in for consideration. Also, 256MB or 512MB version on the HD2600?
Will those cards bring any performance boost to my system or is that wasted money? Or does anyone have another advice for me?

Get the X1950 Pro if you're short on funds or wait until the end of the month and pickup the HD3850 AGP which will be the fastest AGP part available and cost about $200......hopefully. Also make sure your power supply is adequate for the Pro if you decide to go that way.

Hi everyone,

The X1950 Pro is the only option really. It's very cheap right now and it provides a much better gaming experience, than a HD 2600.

Rumor has it they're putting out an AGP version of the 3850 - why not check that out first?

Thanks for the clear answers. I heard about the 3850 too, but I think it'll probably be more expensive than the X1950 Pro... and that's as much money as I was planning to spend.but I'll look into it!

Thanks for the clear answers. I heard about the 3850 too, but I think it'll probably be more expensive than the X1950 Pro... and that's as much money as I was planning to spend.but I'll look into it!

What kind of power supply do you have?

What kind of power supply do you have?

I just looked it up and was shocked. Remind me not to buy a complete system anymore. Apparently they built a laughable 250W power supply in there, so I would have to buy a new one too.
I guess I have to get a part time job to buy a new pc. Damn.

I just looked it up and was shocked. Remind me not to buy a complete system anymore. Apparently they built a laughable 250W power supply in there, so I would have to buy a new one too.
I guess I have to get a part time job to buy a new pc. Damn.

Well this way you will have a up to date system to be able to play newer games. Also it will be easier to upgrade(and more options, ddr2, c2d or c2q, pci-e, etc).

A 2600 XT doesn't use more power than a 9800 Pro, does it?

Although I think getting a new PC is probably the best thing to do.

Considering many actual games including bioshock are faster with a double core processor would be a good idea to replace your pc if you can afford it ;)

Back