Can't decide between 850 Evo or 850 Pro 500gb?

eddie500

Gawd
I've read as much information as I can and it is hard to decide which one to get.

Is the 850 Pro worth the $80 dollars?

I am using it for general PC usage, some games etc. Nothing crazy like a server.

Which one should I get?

Thanks

Pro.

Samsung TLC drives don't have a great track record in general, they seem to hold data just fine but tend to have performance issues over time (see the threads on the 840 EVO) and while this may not carry on to the 850 EVO, the whole pro line seems to higher quality.

If it were me I would, and in fact recently did, go with the Pro over the EVO

Pro.

Samsung TLC drives don't have a great track record in general, they seem to hold data just fine but tend to have performance issues over time (see the threads on the 840 EVO) and while this may not carry on to the 850 EVO, the whole pro line seems to higher quality.

If it were me I would, and in fact recently did, go with the Pro over the EVO

I have a 120 840 EVO and it tends to be having issues lately so I replaced it for a 256 850 Pro and it's night and day better.

Yeah my 840 EVO is a bit upsetting lately...

i currently have a 840 pro and just picked up a 840 evo today.
i planned on using the evo for windows and the pro for games.

i got the evo for a steal at microcenter a 250gb for $85

i must say i am very disappointed in the evo. it is much slower than the pro.
with my pro i am able o instantly start doing what ever i want soon as i get past the windows screen.
not the case with the evo. ive also noticed certain programs, such as nvidia control panel are very slow on the evo. never had this problem with my pro.

i will be returning my evo and will pay the extra for the pro.

I just wanted to say I'm going to pick up the 850 EVO over the Pro.

From doing a lot of research, the 850 EVO is much better than the 840 EVO, and very close to t he 850 Pro.

It doesn't make sense to pay $289 for the 850 Pro over $209 for the 850 EVO.

The PRO will be slightly faster, but a lot of real world benchmarks are really not showing any significant differences.

This is all comparing the 850's and not the 840s. I wouldn't go near the 840's, although I may have one in one of my notebook computers.

It seems the limiting factors with SSD's now are the SATA 6gb interface. I figure in a few years they will have something much better and then I will consider upgrading at that point. Not worth to spend a lot of money on the PRO for just a slight increase in performance.

The 850 EVO also use a lot of new tech that is in the PRO.

To sum it up the 850 EVO is the best bang for your buck now.

According to all the reviews from tweaktown to anandtech: The two best consumer SSDs are the Sandisk Extreme Pro and the 850 Pro. I personally went with the Sandisk Extreme Pro because it won IIRC in more speed tests and consistency tests except in one test it eat the dirt hard.

i currently have a 840 pro and just picked up a 840 evo today.
i planned on using the evo for windows and the pro for games.

i got the evo for a steal at microcenter a 250gb for $85

i must say i am very disappointed in the evo. it is much slower than the pro.
with my pro i am able o instantly start doing what ever i want soon as i get past the windows screen.
not the case with the evo. ive also noticed certain programs, such as nvidia control panel are very slow on the evo. never had this problem with my pro.

i will be returning my evo and will pay the extra for the pro.

-_- *facepalm* That is totally opposite. The good SSD should be for windows not games. The benefit in games will be unnoticed unless there is some oddly heavy disk usage game or you literally only use the PC to load games and not anything else.

Last edited:
My buddy is using the 850 EVO and it appears to be great with no issues so far. My 840 EVO is an odd mofo and tends to have performance issues. I have the M.2 850 EVO in my HTPC now and it seems fine with no real issues. It's just a 120gb for OS and one game COD Advanced warefare.. no problems at all... yet lol. I stuck an 850 Pro in place of an 840 EVO on my Mom's laptop and it's running the best it ever has. The 840 Evo would seem like it was always tryign to play catch up and the benches never really seemed to stay consistent.. usually bad benchmarks. I have heard there is a firmware fix on the way.

I got the 500gb 850 Evo, this thing is blazingly fast compared to my old Intel 510 120gb hard drive.

The benchmarks are also much higher.

The 850 Evo is probably the drive to get for most people unless you run a server. It is just a very good value and it is also rated at 150TB for the 500gb version like the pro.

I figure that the controller on these hard drives is a limiting factor, so when they finally get a faster controller we will be upgrading anyway. No reason to spend a lot more for the Pro for 5-10% better performance.

All I can add is that my 850pro has been (knock on wood) purring like a kitten since I did this build in dec. No complaints so far.

The 850 Pro 512GB is definitely not $80 better than the 850 EVO 500GB, so good move there OP.

I have an 850 Pro 250GB as my OS drive and an 850 EVO 512GB as my secondary and i love both. My system is as snappy as its ever been and Magician has given me no problems at all, even through the Pro firmware update a month or 2 ago.

Back