Pollock56th
n00b
- Joined
- Jan 18, 2005
- Messages
- 1
Hi,
I am new to this forum and have reasonable overclocking experience,
using stock components.
and was hoping for some opinions on an upgrade.
My current system I use a ASUS P4B266 motherboard with a P4 1.6GHZ northwood. I use the retail heatsink and fan and overclock stable to 2.4GHZ. The video card is an ATI radeon 9700 pro 128meg.
I use 1G 512X2 of corsair value pc 3200 ram
I have had this system for 2 years.
I am movin the board and chip to another system, keeping the vid and memory for my upgrade.
I have narrowed my choices down to an Intel and AMD set up:
INTEL: CPU
Intel Pentium 4/ 2.4C GHz 800MHz FSB, 512K Cache, Hyper Threading Technology - Retail
INTEL MB:
ASUS i865PE Chipset Motherboard for Intel Socket 478 CPU, Model "P4P800-E Deluxe"
AMD CPU:
AMD Athlon 64 3000+ 1.8GHz, 512KB L2 Cache 939-Pin 64-bit Processor - OEM
AMD MB:
ASUS "A8V Deluxe" VIA K8T800 Pro Chipset Motherboard For AMD Socket 939 CPU
I am looking to get the best performance with stability. I have read here that 3.2 GHz is possible with stock cooling on the P4. I am also reading that the AMD64 is better for gaming but you still have to deal with the via chipset.
Apples to apples are these on the same par or is one better than the other?
I am new to this forum and have reasonable overclocking experience,
using stock components.
and was hoping for some opinions on an upgrade.
My current system I use a ASUS P4B266 motherboard with a P4 1.6GHZ northwood. I use the retail heatsink and fan and overclock stable to 2.4GHZ. The video card is an ATI radeon 9700 pro 128meg.
I use 1G 512X2 of corsair value pc 3200 ram
I have had this system for 2 years.
I am movin the board and chip to another system, keeping the vid and memory for my upgrade.
I have narrowed my choices down to an Intel and AMD set up:
INTEL: CPU
Intel Pentium 4/ 2.4C GHz 800MHz FSB, 512K Cache, Hyper Threading Technology - Retail
INTEL MB:
ASUS i865PE Chipset Motherboard for Intel Socket 478 CPU, Model "P4P800-E Deluxe"
AMD CPU:
AMD Athlon 64 3000+ 1.8GHz, 512KB L2 Cache 939-Pin 64-bit Processor - OEM
AMD MB:
ASUS "A8V Deluxe" VIA K8T800 Pro Chipset Motherboard For AMD Socket 939 CPU
I am looking to get the best performance with stability. I have read here that 3.2 GHz is possible with stock cooling on the P4. I am also reading that the AMD64 is better for gaming but you still have to deal with the via chipset.
Apples to apples are these on the same par or is one better than the other?