Can't copy large files between Vista and Server 2003

klesik

Weaksauce
I've been having the strangest problem lately at home. I got a copy of Windows Server 2003 from my school, and got it up and running on one of my older computers which has a big hard drive. I wanted to install Vista Ultimate on my laptop (from the feedback program), so I have been trying to transfer my data over to my server. I have about 60GB of data, and i can't copy them over to my server.

The copy starts out fine, and then after a few minutes, the speed drops, and I get a message that I can't contact my server. Afterwards, I can't ping it, can't browse to it, can't remote into it - nothing. Its as if it just disappeared. But the strange part is that I can browse the net and get into other computers on my network.

Has anyone experienced an issue like this? I found a thread here, but nobody had a solution that worked:
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1297664&highlight=transfer+large+files+file+server

They mention QoS, but I am curious, could it be that my home router can't handle all that traffic? I know when I run torrents occasionally, my router is fine. I have 128MB of RAM sitting in that server too, so could that also be a factor?

Thanks!

If nothing else, I'm sure the low amount of RAM is probably a contributing factor.

Granted only 128 megs must be paiiiiiiinfully slow....but it meets bare minimum specs. If you're only running it as a stand alone member server, not as a DC running infrastructure/active directory...it should somewhat run OK and be able to receive files.

Can you copy that same amount from another workstation running XP and complete the copy? Just to be able to point the finger at Vista.

Vista is slower than molasses at handling and copying files...even with SP1 which was supposed to fix that. I'd say you have an issue between Vista's glacially slow file copy process..combined with low ram on the server to be able to receive the data in chunks.

I'm not clear on if you are using Vista now. If you are using Vista then it sounds like the IPv6 issue. Disable IPv6 on your NIC if you're already using Vista.

Actually and surprisingly, 128 isn't that bad. I'm down so low because the 512 stick I had in there died a little while ago and I haven't had a chance to order another stick. I am running it as a standalone file server for now.

I agree with you guys that Vista is super slow at handling file copying as well. I did try copying to an XP workstation as well and that went through ok.

Yea, right now I have Vista Business on my laptop and using that to connect to my win 2k3 box.

Thanks for the help! I'm going to try to disable IPv6 tonight and see what happens! Thanks.

I tried to disable IPv6 last night, and I got the same problem. I realized another interesting piece though. When it stops transferring, I get a message, "File *****.*** cannot be found at C:\Users\....

It seems that Vista stops reading from the hard drive or something like that. Weird.

If you don't have Vista SP1 installed, try that. I agree SP1 doesn't completely fix the file copy problem, but it did fix some quirks in file copy.

Never hurts to run a chkdsk /f either.

Try copying to an external USB drive?

I will double check, but I think that this laptop already has SP1 installed. When I ran the updates, it never asked me to install SP1. But then again, I know it won't ask if there are certain drivers on the machine.

Unfortunately I don't have an external drive. But good idea though!

Thanks!

Back