Can't connect to internet at home, but works fine in tech shop

T20

Weaksauce
:confused:Got a weird situation with a compaq desktop. I upgraded the system memory to 1.2gb for a woman. She took the unit home, everything works fine, except she can't connect to internet. I got the unit back, and it connected to the network fine. The desktop still can't connect to the internet even after I did a complete system restore. Comcast agreed to replace her modem with a new one, and her friend's laptop can connect to the internet fine. She told me that the network connection showed connected, just when using IE, she got no server error. I tried the desktop with my network connection and I can surf the net with IE. Right now I told her to bring the desktop to her friend's house and try it there. If that still doesn't work, I'm out of idea. Any suggestions?

Only thing that comes to mind is a DHCP issue involving a MAC filter on the router...

Is she getting a proper IP address and not an APIPA?

No router, it was direct connection to the modem. Although its one of those with telephone jacks in it, don't know if that makes difference or not.

Heh, I always thought Comcast was a cable internet provider only... didn't know they did DSL.

umm...Comcast is a cable company :p The phone jack i was talking about is for voip telephone service.

She told me that the computer got a connection with the modem, its sending data to the modem, but nothing back from it.

Last edited:
Back