Cant change boot order/xp pro

harsaphes

Supreme [H]ardness
So i took a peak in my bios screen today and i see the dvd drive is listed as the first boot option. I wanted to change it to the hdd, but it wont let me. This is the first time i have encountered this. I can select the menu, and i can move the arrow up and down to select the "new" first boot, but when i hit enter and i am returned to the main screen the order still says dvd drive.?...what gives, any ideas?
thanks

I'm running two DVD drives and three harddrives.
All the drives are SATA and I'm not using RAID.
I set the "CDROM" as third boot device in "Boot Device Priority" and disable the 4th.
Set which HD to boot off in "Hard Disk Drives".

Not sure why yours won't save HD as first boot device.

Is it something like this?

1: CD
2: HD
3: USB
4: Floppy

might not be exact, but thats what you're seeing. And if you change 1 to HD, it doesn't let you save it?

If so, try changing the option that currently has HD to nothing (so in this case, option 3 gets disabled, removed, or whatever you BIOS calls it). Then try to change option 1 to from CD to HD.

I've seen some BIOS that won't let you define the same resource twice, so you have to "free up" the resource before you can assign it another slot in the boot order.

Also, you might have to change the order by using the + and - key to literally move that resource up or down.

Too bad there isn't a standard BIOS interface -- they're all just a little bit different.

Also, are you sure you don't have your BIOS locked? Some BIOS allow you to require a password to do certain functions.

Back