Can't break 182FSB, help please

Draky

Weaksauce
No matter what settings I've used, I cannot break 182FSB on my A7N8X Rev 1.4. I am using the latest bios (forgot which number, maybe 1007?), have tried relaxed memory timmings as low as 8/4/4/3.0T, have changed the multiplier as low as 9.0, and have upped the voltage on the processor and ram. My system specs are below. Anyone have any other ideas? IMO, my mobo is a POS. But it's supose to be able to support the 200mhz chips. I'm at a loss and out of ideas.
Edit: Almost forgot, what it's doing is the following:
Above 183+ FSB, I get a blue screen as windows loads with an error.
When I use 200FSB with normal memory settings, I can't even get the system to check the memory.

Just an update:
I've now tried upping the volt to it's max, 1.85 and just get errors loading into windows.
Thinking the problem is with my mobo. Anyone agree/disagree?

thats not a problem, thats normal behaviour

uve got a 1.04 mobo, which doesnt support 200fsb (eventho asus says it does after the latest bios flash)

fact remains, anything over 183 or 188 for some people gets the whole board fubared

i had an a7n8x-dx 1.04, i was one of the extremely lucky ones that was able to reach 200fsb, but i could never break that, no matter how low i dropped the multi on the cpu, and how high i raised the vcore

i dont have that problem anymore though, sold the mobo yest, along with my 1700 tbred b (great proc). running a p4p800-dx and a 2.6c now. mmmmmmmmmm 800fsb goodness ;)

Draky, I have the exact setup as you (except I have the Geil PC3500 Ultra ram w/ silver heatspreader) and my system wont stay stable above FSB 182 either. I just try to be happy with the 400mhz oc running at 180x12.5. I've been thinking about getting a rev.2 or another brand of board (ABIT NF7-S rev 2.0 is amazing I hear.)

I've even put active cooling on my northbridge and passive on my southbridge, to no avail.

Have you tried ruling out the cpu and memory? Try running the cpu at 166 fsb and the memory at 120% (200MHz) to check the memory's ok, or try running the cpu at a higher fsb but have the memory at 83% (this will run memory at 166 when fsb is 200).

Have you tried replacing the thermal goop under the NB heatsink, this helped me a bit. You could also try using the uber bios which (I think) allows you to raise the NB voltage.

Guess I got lucky, my mobo is version 1.4, bought it before it was even reviewed by anyone online.
Currently running 194fsb (max crucial ram will do at 2.5-3-3-6)
Northbridge not even warm, but the fan on my SLK800 is blowing on that as well. People say have to volt mod the ones that get caped out around 180-185 fsb and/or lap the northbridge. Good Luck ;)

Have you tried ruling out the cpu and memory? Try running the cpu at 166 fsb and the memory at 120% (200MHz) to check the memory's ok, or try running the cpu at a higher fsb but have the memory at 83% (this will run memory at 166 when fsb is 200).
I actually have done that with the memory just to make sure that the memory wasn't the problem. I have not tried running the CPU at 200 with memory at 83 though, I guess I'll try that next.
I have no done the thermal goop under the heatsink yet, I'll have to do that next.
And what uber bios are you talking about?

You're running your multis too high drop down to 10X, you're probally hitting the limit of your CPU.

Regards, Szandor

After last nights tests running async I've found that I believe the problem to be in the NF2 (non-ultra) memory bus. My highest stable cpu oc was 11.5@210fsb. And that was after dropping it down to 10. 210fsb seems to be the limit on my mobo's cpu bus. After 210fsb, it won't even boot. But my memory isn't stable above 182fsb on my mobo. Now that doesn't sound right as it's raited PC3500 cas 2.0 (http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-144-604&depa=1).
And yes, I did up the mem power to 2.8 and it didn't help.

You're running your multis too high drop down to 10X, you're probally hitting the limit of your CPU.
Drop my multiplier down to 10? I've droped it down as low as 7 and it doesn't make a single bit of difference running mem/cpu in sync.
Oh well, guess I'm at the top of my mobo's power. I'm looking at getting a new one so I can push my system faster.

Do you have an option to set VDimm to Auto? This is what I run mine at to acheive 220FSB X 10 w\ XP1700+

Regards, Szandor

Could still be the northbridge cooling, I would still recommend trying replacing the generic goop with some decent stuff.

Also what power supply are your running? You could be getting limited by that possibly.

It's your board. Toss it.

NB cooling makes almost no difference on NF2 platforms, they're just not hot enough. I've had the NB bare and still was able to hit 210 on my NF7-S 2.0

Your RAM is fine and your chip is fine. Toss the board, get an NF7-S and call it a day.

Toss the board, get an NF7-S and call it a day.
I am planning on tossing this board. Just was thinken of waiting 10 monthes and just doing a full system upgrade with PCI-X and 64 bit. Oh well..
And I will never join the lemmings and buy a NF7-S. I'm sorry, I'm not one to follow the crowd, I'm actually looking at DFI Ultra Infity (just as good oc wise as a Lan Party, just not as many features for alot less).

If you're looking for a budget rig to tie you over til the next big upgrade take a look at the $55.00 Shuttle AN35N Ultra. I run mine @220FSB X 10 w\ XP1700+ and 2 x 256mb Buffalo\Winbond. Others with Mushkin have pushed it to over 230FSB, this is all stable in Prime (16hrs) and Memtest (12hrs) with no errors. Its real basic with no frills but has decent performance.

Regards, Szandor

Just an update, I did use the Uber Bios (on the non-Delux Rev1.0x he only has it up to the 1004 bios, not the 1007) and was able to log into windows doing 11 @ 205 without any major tweaking. I tried to keep it stable though at 11 @ 200 without any luck. No amount of tweaking I did could keep that stupid mobo stable @ 200fsb. I couldn't even keep Halo up without crashing @180fsb so I flashed back to Asus 1007 bios and just staying with that one. I will have to make due till I can get a new mobo (maybe next month, x-mas bills always kill the fun in the month of January for me). I've decided to go with DFI instead of Abit (I like to be a little different and not a lemming).
Thank you everyone for the help, I really appreciate it! :)

Back