• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Can't boot to USB/CD/DVD

Shambler

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Aug 17, 2005
Messages
6,419
Step 1. Installed Linux Mint 10
Step 2. Had fun, don't know Linux, got lazy, got bored
Step 3. Attempted to boot to Legit Windows 7 Ultimate 32 DVD
Steps 4-9001: The machine skipped right over it and booted Mint 10. Tried that a few times. Double checked CD/DVD boot order in BIOS, tried again. Same issue. Booted my laptop off that DVD without issues. Reset BIOS, adjusted boot order. Same issue.

Got pissed, pulled drive, attached to another machine and formatted it. Bad idea :D. Linux Mint machine now boots to Grub Rescue. Looks like I didn't clear the MBR/Grub Boot Loader with that format.

Made Win7, UBCD, and Ubuntu bootable USB sticks and bootable DVD's. Tried all. No workie. Shows Boot CD/DVD: prompt, waits a few seconds then loads the Grub Rescue prompt.

USB sticks and Bootable DVD's work in my laptop and main Desktop.

I am unable to boot the Linux Mint machine with a DVD or USB bootable but without a HDD present. WTF HAX!

Funky mobo? Funky BIOS? I may get ghetto and install WIn7 on said Mint drive from within another machine and then swap it back.

Ideas?


Machine specs:
Gigabyte P35-DS3L mobo
Intel E2160 at stock
2 gigs Ballistix (LIGHT UP FUN!)
WD 160 giger
 
have you tried pressing F8 to select boot device after POST ?
 
Yessir. Thanks for mentioning it.
I get the usual boot menu and am unable to select any of the listed devices. Keyboard input is not accepted.
 
My bad on that.

Yep yep, boot menu shows up, but nothing moves. Keyboard is USB, works great in all other BIOS functions.

I think I may need to build a new machine. Maybe an HTPC. Hmmmm. Blarg!
 
Back
Top