Can't bitstream from 6850....HELP

runnin17

[H]ard|Gawd
Installed catalyst 11.7 drivers, went to setup the audio and it only shows that 2 channel audio is available. WTF?????

Read around a bit, tried to install realtek drivers without any help, reinstalling catalyst drivers now and we will see if this crap works.

Frustrated.

Running Win7-32bit (not SP1)

I used the shark 007 codecs, under one of the tabs on the config utility there is an option to disable the Windows Audio Media foundation or something to that effect. You'll also need to check the boxes to enable digital pass-through in the utility as well.

Since I did that, I'm getting Dolby Digital. DTS HD Master audio, etc., pass through to my AVR.

Thanks BartY. I am using Shark 007 codecs as well. I will try that. Will update with results.

Did you get it working? Disabling the Microsoft/Windows Audio foundation seemed to be what did the trick for me.

I get surround sound, but if I run DTS or TrueHD channel check tracks then the rear surround speakers do not make any sound at all when the track is testing just the specific "left rear" or "right rear"; however, when the full surround sound is played then audio comes from all the speakers (even the ones in the back).

The PCM light is on on the Onkyo receiver, but the DTS light doesn't ever come on.

Also, even when the receiver is showing "HDMI Through" I can change the listening modes and if I change the listening mode to Stereo or Direct it will only output two channel sound. I am thinking the issue might be the Onkyo receiver, but I know that the 805 should be able to decode these signals properly.

I did run a DTS TrueHD channel sound check track and the ffdshow icon showed that the output was TrueHD. But then when I ran the same track through MPC the ffdshow tray icon didn't pop up.

I don't know what is going on, but this shit is not working properly and it is royally pissing me off. :D

Last edited:
What you're seeing is not the bitstream but the actual decoded sound hence the stereo indication since I doubt you've changed the amount of speakers in Windows to 5.1 or whatever you have. What you have to (or rather should do) is to make ffdshow bitstream HD-Audio to/by using SPDIF and it'll work fine. I have no idea what Shark007 does apart looking like a virus so I cant help you there, I have my own nifty little batch file for this ;)
//Danne

When I go to the AMD HDMI audio output through playback devices and try to setup the speakers properly, the only option is 2 channel stereo.

Also dizzy, I get what you are saying, but I have selected for ffdshow to output SPDIF audio. Are you saying just using an optical output to send the SPDIF audio to the receiver are you actually talking about sending the SPDIF over HDMI?

In ffdshow, it uses the term SPDIF for any digital audio output, which would include HDMI.

Setting the number of speakers in Windows simply allows it to simulate surround sound by converting a stereo signal to however many surround speakers you select. You can leave it set to two speaker stereo in the driver and it has absolutely no effect on the ability to bitstream digital audio to the receiver. My HTPC is set to two speakers (though setting it to 5.1 doesn't seem to have any adverse effect) and I still get bitstream audio through the DVD rips I have.

You may want to check out AVSForum since you mentioned you have an Onkyo receiver. There appears to be some additional steps to take in order to enable bitstreaming with that receiver.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=26

I have an Onkyo too, works fine without any additional steps on both AMD and Intel.
Shark probably installed several audio decoders that jumps in front of ffdshow.
The speakers settings are crucial if you use a source that your receiver doesn't understand such as AAC or FLAC. If you don't set 5.1 or whatever it is you'll end up getting stereo, downside is that you can't upmix (using the receiver) if you're only playing a stereo source with 5.1 or 7.1.
//Danne

So how do I go about just using ffdshow. I can uninstall the shark codecs easily enough.

Anyone got a link to a good guide?

ffdshow --> audio decoder configuration --> output --> pass-through
//Danne

I got it to work. I had to turn the HDMI Audio out setting "off" on the Onkyo receiver. Now the receiver is no longer passing any audio through and it is accepting the bitstreaming audio from my HTPC.

NICE!

Back