Can't believe how easy lapping E6750 was

devilchrist

Weaksauce
well I just lapped with 320 grit and then 600 grit.
It was so easy it's not even funny. took less then 20 minutes. now to let the AS5 settle and see how well this lapping works.

you might want to buy some stuff to check how well the contact is with your heatsink...

also, no 800/1000/1200 grit for that super shiny surface?

I was thinking about lapping my Q6600 to get a flatter contact surface.
How "easy" was it? Was it risky? Any chance you could have broken the CPU? How exactly did you do it (have a guide somewhere?)

I was thinking about lapping my Q6600 to get a flatter contact surface.
How "easy" was it? Was it risky? Any chance you could have broken the CPU? How exactly did you do it (have a guide somewhere?)

just do a search here for lapping. you'll get many guides and links.
after reading some guides most agree that after 600grit performance gain is very minimal.
so i just used 320git and 600grit.
with 320 it took about 60 up and down passes on both directions to remove all the zinc coating , and with 600 grit it took about 40 passes each direction to get the scraches finer.

really took less then 20 minutes. including alcohol/qtip clean up of processor,

I did dry lapping. Wet may take longer.

I'll definitely see temps go down for the next few days but right now i'm seeing 55c Coretemp on Prime95 large FFT with 22c ambient. it's about 3c drop from non-lapped cured AS5 temps. I'm expecting another 2-3c drop after AS5 has cured. not bad with 1.6v on dualcore

Back