Can't adjust multiplier above 46 - 2500K

melteye

[H]ard|Gawd
I just received my Cooler Master 212+ and I've bumped up the multiplier on this 2500K to 46 (4600MHz) at 1.325v stable in Prime95... when I change the multiplier to 47+ absolutely nothing changes, the computer boots and CPU-Z says I'm running at 4600MHz with a multiplier of 46... I go back into BIOS and it still says the correct multiplier (47+). Am I missing something?

Check signature for hardware information.

run liveupdate and make sure your bios is up to date, if there's an update, reset the bios back to defaults BEFORE you update the bios, the last thing you want is to do is update while overclocked and something "glitch"

use msi's control center to make the change when in Windows and see if it sticks

If you had a profile saved in the bios, and then updated the bios and restored the profile, reset the bios back to defaults and start over, that was an issue that came up with some versions of the UEFI bios.

Not all cpu's can go to 4.6+, so it could be the chip erroring out the the bios reseting it back to the last bootable level.
From what I've read, only 10% can hit 4.8ghz, and around 5% hit 5.0ghz, each cpu is different.

Last edited:
I ran liveupdate, I've tried using ControlCenter to make it stick and the first thing I did was reset to defaults and start over. I'm thinking your comment about the bios resetting applies as I can't see any other issues! Ah well, considering I didn't even plan on overclocking and I bought a $20 heatsink to replace a defective stock heatsink a 1.3GHz overclock over stock seems pretty decent :)

Although if that was the case wouldn't CommandCenter crash instead of doing absolutely nothing? Hmm... :-/

Control center should set the value, unless there's some max multiplier value set in other areas of the bios where it's not actually setting it, I think it's the more button in the middle (not on that rig at the moment) that will show the cpu cores max multiplier.

When I set mine to 53, i get an instant BSOD, which is what "normally" happens when i go to high on the multiplier, so it's odd that it doesn't set it.

But yes, 4.6 @ 1.35v is really good and a great overclock. keep an eye on load temps, maybe give Intel Burn Test a go, it really loads the cores

Interesting development. I had the newest version of ControlCenter from MSI's website and when I ran LiveUpdate it said there was an update available so I installed that version of ControlCenter. I just launched ControlCenter again and there was yet another update available (it's like they're pushing incremental updates.) With the newest version of ControlCenter I can push the multiplier higher then 46. Thanks for the help and I'll let you know how the overclock progresses.

An hour of stress testing results in temps just below 70c. What is an acceptable high under load?

Edit: I restarted my computer and now it's back to not allowing me to change the multiplier :) Although It would not boot when I set the multiplier to 48 so I think that confirms it is indeed not allowing me to change the multiplier due to instability. Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
Back