Can't adjust core clock of R9 290 above 920

allen5055

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm trying Stilt's custom BIOS for the R9 290's. I previously used the PT1T BIOS. In afterburner I can't increase the core clock past 920. If I do, the core clock drops and fluctuates around 890. I had the same issue mining with the stock BIOS. Everyone else using his BIOS seems to be running at 1000-1100 core just fine.

Also, I can't change the core clocks using the scrypt config for this particular rig. I don't know why. MSI afterburner was always what worked for me. I put in --gpu-engine and none of them change clock speed, even the ones with the PT1T BIOS.

The card is under water.

your card cant hack that speed its a gaming card and not meant for 24/7/365 100% operation crypto mining

Last edited:
your card cant hack that speed its a gaming card and not meant for 24/7/365 100% operation crypto mining

If these cards were not designed to run as they do then there would be specific warranty items/conditions that AMD would be able to track to help with warranty claims.

The R9 series runs at 95C because they designed it that way, sure, I keep mine cooler - 75-85C is optimal for me and performance, but there is no reason you shouldn't be able to run your GPU in the manner you wish.

Do you realize how stupid AMD would sound if they said "sorry, you used the GPU too much inside of the agreed upon warranty period, we are going to deny you coverage because fuck you that's why" yeah -- they would loose quite a bit of business.

"Sorry -- you drove your car 7 days a week for an entire year, warranty denied!" -- makes total sense huh?

Agree totally with this, except the car analogy is a bad one.
They actually do burn owners quite often with the "3 years or 36,000 mile" warranty deal.
But unless GPUs have some built in "usage meter", 24/7/365 100% is fair game.

Agree totally with this, except the car analogy is a bad one.
They actually do burn owners quite often with the "3 years or 36,000 mile" warranty deal.
But unless GPUs have some built in "usage meter", 24/7/365 100% is fair game.

Miners are working on changing how a warranty works. Companies arent stupid they will update with a clause a fault mechanism if mining isnt just a basement dwelling fad.

Then you answered your own questions. Go burn up the card mining and RMA it on another BIOS.

Looks like more people that are butthurt about mining making GPU's expensive/limited are coming in here.

Then you answered your own questions. Go burn up the card mining and RMA it on another BIOS.

Lol why are ppl hijacking this thread. Anyways I fixed it. Redid the drivers a few times and turned off AMD overdrive.

I can run the gpu's at 1100 core and higher on quite low voltage. They're under water so it's not like this is going to burn them up.

Back