Can't add devices on Windows 7 Pro

GOD'SlittleSERVANT

Supreme [H]ardness
I can't add Xbox one as a device on my Windows 7 PC. When I click on "add device", I get "searching for devices... Make sure your device is discoverable". And it just sits there. I let it go for a couple of hours and it still didn't find anything.

I had my xbox one on wireless, so I decided to change it to hard wired and still the same thing. Also made sure "Allow play to streaming" was enabled. I ALSO enabled media streaming on Windows 7. Still the same thing...

Anyone else run into this?

Could it be my router blocking the device? Could I add the Xbox's IP and Mac address to my router some how to allow it to be recognized by my PC?

Could be a UPnP issue. I'd make sure it's on. Is your connection usually green in games? That would verify that the router and the firewall rules are doing what they're supposed to be doing if UPnP is actually working.

Else you could just set the X-Box ONE to a static IP by grabbing the MAC address and then forwarding all the ports/protocols necessary.

List of Ports:
http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/networking/network-ports-used-xbox-live

Could be a UPnP issue. I'd make sure it's on. Is your connection usually green in games? That would verify that the router and the firewall rules are doing what they're supposed to be doing if UPnP is actually working.

Else you could just set the X-Box ONE to a static IP by grabbing the MAC address and then forwarding all the ports/protocols necessary.

List of Ports:
http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/networking/network-ports-used-xbox-live

Sorry, super noob when it comes to networking.

How do I check to see if UPnP is on? My ping in games is always green.

Sorry, super noob when it comes to networking.

How do I check to see if UPnP is on? My ping in games is always green.

You'll have to login to your router using a web browser. Depending on your model you can type it in via Google with the tag "login ip" or some phrase like that. Usually it's 192.168.1.1 on 90% of consumer devices. Green in relation to ping isn't the same. On the X-Box 360 for example most times when you'd go to the multiplayer area of a game it would tell you connection status in relation to port-fowarding. Usually something like "Good, Medium, or Bad" meaning anything less than Good you're not properly connected to XBL on your end of things.

You'll have to login to your router using a web browser. Depending on your model you can type it in via Google with the tag "login ip" or some phrase like that. Usually it's 192.168.1.1 on 90% of consumer devices. Green in relation to ping isn't the same. On the X-Box 360 for example most times when you'd go to the multiplayer area of a game it would tell you connection status in relation to port-fowarding. Usually something like "Good, Medium, or Bad" meaning anything less than Good you're not properly connected to XBL on your end of things.

Oh I see what you're saying. I haven't played any games yet on my Xbox one, but I'll check that when I do.

Thanks for the help, I'll report back.

Turn off the firewall on your PC and try again. Give it a reboot first.

This wouldn't be a router issue since both devices are on the same subnet.

tried that already :(

I also searched for a fix on add device and all I've found is to use hdwwiz.exe.

Man, this is weird.

When I go to homegroups and "choose media streaming options", xbox video is in the list. Soooooooo if it can detect xbox video why can't it detect my xbox one?!

:*(

Edit - L.O.LLLLLLLLLLLLL

I was too busy trying to figure out how to add it via add device that I didn't bother right clicking on a video to see if it'll play. Whelp, it plays.

Again....

L.O.LLLLLLLLLLLLL

Last edited:
Back