can't access WebServer inside LAN

ferr

Limp Gawd
I just got a NetGear WNR2000 router and am having trouble with what I think some people call 'router loopback'. Outside of the lan I can access my web server using my IP, but while inside the lan it redirects me to my router settings page when trying to navigate to my IP. This is bad because I like to develop web apps on my machine and they often reference my server IP, and I can't test the web app if it's going to redirect to the router page.

I can get to my web server internally by using localhost, so I tried modifying my hosts file to redirect to localhost when navigating to my IP, but nothing changed. It's almost like there's another hosts file somewhere bound to my router that overrides everything else.

Any suggestions?

I tried that, but unfortunately the web apps I create use my IP (i.e. to display an image on a web page it wants to pull the image from my server) and any instance of that fails. So while I can get to my server, the web apps I'm serving can't do much once I'm there.

come on, this is simple, you use the dns name of your server to access it i.e. if you name it server, type in server to your web browser. If you dont know its dns name type in the i.p !!!!

localhost will only work on your server i.e. it basically looks at it self. typing local host on any other again will point them some where else.

the reason you hit your router when you type in your external i.p. is because your router is the first thing that has port 80 on it and its not passing your internal i.p's through it to a another computer.

Phil

come on, this is simple, you use the dns name of your server to access it i.e. if you name it server, type in server to your web browser. If you dont know its dns name type in the i.p !!!!

localhost will only work on your server i.e. it basically looks at it self. typing local host on any other again will point them some where else.

the reason you hit your router when you type in your external i.p. is because your router is the first thing that has port 80 on it and its not passing your internal i.p's through it to a another computer.

Phil

That doesn't help when I have web apps pointing to the external ip.

can you setup dns alias records on your router? say something like website.domain.com resolves to 192.168.1.15 (internal server IP). Otherwise you could always setup a dedicated internal DNS server and setup aliasing on that.

looks like modifying the hosts file worked after all. i think the router page must have been stuck in my cache the first time i tried it.

this is becuase most home routers and some Cisco routers do not allow loop back due to issues with NAT

Back