Cant Access other computers on network

I have a wireless 802.11b network setup in my house. I have a Netgear MR314 router, Netgear print server, and Netgear MA101 USB adapters attached to each computer. Every computer has internet access through the router and every computer can print to the network printer. Two of the computers are Windows 98 SE and the rest are Windows XP. The problem is that we cant see the other computers through the network via My Network Places and thus cannot share files. What do I need to do to solve the problem? Everything is setup correctly in the router as far as I can tell and I can see every computer in the DHCP table in the router.

Any help would be appreciated.

Do you log into the 98 boxes with a username/pword? er um... here is a good networking troubleshooting link. Have you set up a share yet, if not, the computers will not show up in network places. If you have net and can share printer then networking(TCP/IP) is working fine. And are the permissions on your share set properly. I am assuming simple file sharing(XP box) just make sure the share has the "everyone group present"

Post back with more info...

Alright well here is some more info. I went around and made sure that every computer was under the same Workgroup and corrected any inaccuracies. I can now see a list of the comoputers under My Network Places and can access the hard drives on the 98 machines. However, I cannot access the drives on the XP Machines. I see them listed and when trying to access them I get an error about permissions. How do I correctly setup the folder permissions on the XP machines??

I've had the same problem. The only way around it was to turn off all firewalls. Although as far as I'm concerned is a "band-aid" and not a solution. I would much prefer a firewall.

Looks like all of my problems are solved. I can now transfer files between the computers without any problems. 8)

Thanks!

In reply to Oceancyc:

Most firewalls have a setting to enable file sharing. For the XP firewall it is on the exceptions page of the firewall configuration, make sure the box in front of "File and Printer sharing" is checked. For other firewalls it is usually on the main configuration page accessible through the options tab, look for "enable network browsing" or "file and printer sharing."

Back