Can't access IPCONFIG

lil layzie

Gawd
I don't know what is wrong and need some assistance. When I go to start menu, then run and type in ipconfig, the prompt window pops up and closes immediately. What could be the problem here?

I don't know if that has to do anything with my connection being slow but I just wanted to check it out. My internet is a 3mb/256k cable line. Whenever I go to broadbandreports.com and do the speed test, my scores come back as a .5mb download speed which isn't right, but when I do a speed test on cnet, it records my speed near the 3mb download which is reasonable.

I also checked for viruses (AVG free edition and NOD32) and spyware (Ad-Aware Professional, Spy-Bot 1.3 and Webroots SpySweeper) if your wondering.

I just mainly need help with the ipconfig thing. Thanks.

You need to open a command line first. Through start>run use "cmd" if 2k/XP/2k3, or "command" otherwise (without the quotes). You can run ipconfig normally from there.

If you're on 98, you can use winipcfg for a graphical interface

omega-x said:
is there a GUI for it for XP yet?
yes, right click the adapter and choose properties. from there, you may pull up all the needed property pages

What you could do if you're lazy (like me) is just write yourself a little bat file for each frequently used command(ipconfig, netstat, etc.) and put the pause command at the end of it, place it in your windows directory and run it each time from the run box.

example

@echo off
ipconfig /all
pause
exit

then just save it as ipa.bat or ip.bat or whatever you want and place it in c:\windows and run that whenever you need to. that way the command prompt will just appear and display the info then hit a key to exit it, so you just skip opening the command prompt manually, but that is just if you are lazy, I just like to do it that way.
tongue.gif

M11 said:
yes, right click the adapter and choose properties. from there, you may pull up all the needed property pages

Yeah that's the easiest way....lazy peeps like me, just a couple of mouse clicks...and all your info is there.

What you could do if you're lazy (like me) is just write yourself a little bat file for each frequently used command(ipconfig, netstat, etc.) and put the pause command at the end of it, place it in your windows directory and run it each time from the run box.

I do that as well. Here is one I wrote for our users, scripted out to them in the correct directory, so that when they call the the support center, the support center reps can just have them click Start, Run, then type IP, rather than hope they are typing the correct text as it is being told to them. They actually use remote view now so it doesn't matter as much but it was a pretty good tool for awhile.

@ipconfig/all | find "IP Address"
@ipconfig/all | find "Subnet Mask"
@ipconfig/all | find "Default Gateway"
@ipconfig/all | find "Host Name"
@ipconfig/all | find "DNS Suffix Search List"
@ipconfig/all | find "Physical Address"
@ipconfig/all | find "DHCP Enabled"
@ipconfig/all | find "DHCP Server"
@ping infonet -n 1
@echo.
@echo TYPE EXIT TO EXIT THIS WINDOW
@echo.