Can't access file shares using PPTP VPN - SBS2008

I have a PPTP VPN setup in RRAS on Windows SBS 2008.

The VPN seems to works fine, I can ping everything on the other end of the tunnel. RDP into workstations, access shares on the workstations. I can telnet into the exchange server and send mail. Get the default IIS page at http://server.

From the SBS I could even map shares I have on my local workstations, but when I try to access any of the shares on the server over the VPN using hostname or IP it fails, "The network path was not found".

Not really sure whats going on here, I've shut the firewall off without success. I reconfigured the VPN from scratch and rebooted the server and it didn't change a thing. I'm unsure how long this has been like this since no one uses the VPN to access file shares on the server. The few that use it just RDP into their workstations, no issue there. Though recently they started replacing a few desktops with laptops and they have nothing to RDP into, they only need access to a few spreadsheets while at home or on the road so I thought the VPN would work, I guess not....

If anyone one could point me in the direction of a potential cause that would be greatly appreciated. :)

I sometimes have trouble getting to network resources over the vpn without putting in the domain name.

like \\server.domain.xxx\share, or if doing an rdp workstation.domain.xxx, as well as making sure to include the domain when authenticating. domain\username, [email protected], etc...

so connect to a share on server foo, on domain bar.org,

\\foo.bar.org\
and authenticate like so
bar\username or [email protected]
domain password

I sometimes have trouble getting to network resources over the vpn without putting in the domain name.

like \\server.domain.xxx\share, or if doing an rdp workstation.domain.xxx, as well as making sure to include the domain when authenticating. domain\username, [email protected], etc...

so connect to a share on server foo, on domain bar.org,

\\foo.bar.org\
and authenticate like so
bar\username or [email protected]
domain password

didn't change a thing

Back