Can't access bios over displayport on gtx 980

GhostCow

Limp Gawd
I just got a Gigabyte Windforce 980 and I can't seem to access my bios over displayport. I had a similar issue on my 780ti, but I could fix that by unplugging everything from the card but the displayport connection. On this new card, it seems like I can only access the bios over DVI, even if displayport is the only thing plugged in. Does anyone know a fix for this? I have my sound running through displayport, so I really don't want to have to switch cables every time I want to access the bios or install a new linux distro.

I believe DisplayPort is an active connection like HDMI, so the monitor has to be manually set to that input when the monitor is turned on. In other words, it won't automatically detect the signal and switch to it when waking from standby. Some displays will take up to 10 seconds to display an image after being powered on, as well.

Try entering the BIOS first and then switching the input on the monitor. If your monitor has a DP version setting, try setting it to 1.1. If you have an HDMI device plugged into the graphic card, NVIDIA cards will always give this output priority on startup.

The monitor is always on and always set to displayport. Even when I turn the computer off, I don't turn off my monitor so this isn't the issue. The only connection plugged into the card is displayport, so it shouldn't be a priority issue unless there's a bug in the card's bios that makes it think dvi or hdmi is plugged up when it's not. The light on my monitor does turn green for a moment like it's getting a signal, but if I hit del to enter bios, it will eventually turn yellow and give me a screen saying that there's no connection detected.

Edit: I fixed it. It looks like you can only view the bios from one of the three displayports. I had to switch to the bottom one and it's fine now.

Last edited:
Try pulling all but your main display from the GPU.

Then do a CMOS battery pull, or press "bios default" button (if your board has one) and give it a go.

Back