• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Cans for PC use

Weenis

I said WEENIS, not...
Joined
Apr 10, 2006
Messages
4,807
I'm looking for something that's going to be pretty flexible. Price under 300$.

I was considering AudioTechnica ATH-A700 and Beyerdynamic DT770Pro 250ohm. I'd run them through my desktop and possibly work laptop and home laptop. I figure they need an amp but I'm not sure if they would be unusable without one?

I have a Denon 1910 receiver and I could run them through that but I don't know if that would help?

Any suggestions would be awesome.
 
Why not 80ohm DT770Pro? Btw these are best work headphones IMO. Block so much noise and are comfortable after many hours of use. Sometimes even when the music stops playing I keep wearing them cause they block out so much noise. Much easier to get work done not having to listen to other people having converstaions and stuff in surrounding cubes. BTW these phones also have lots of bass. Depends on what you like though.
 
Well I was looking for a lot of bass.

I thought the 80ohm ones were the same price? wouldnt the 250 ohm be better once I run them on an amp?

Also i think they look different?
 
Both will need amps, I have the ATH-AD700's hooked up to a Xonar Essence stx and they sound awesome for music, movies, games, everything. Before when they were non-amped they still sounded good, wide soundstage and very clear, but overall weak and no bass. Adding an amped card now they sound VERY full, vibrant, super alive, and good tight clean bass.

If you are wanting to spend 300+/- though I would definitely get the Beyer's. I haven't heard the DT770pro but hooked up to a proper source I've heard people describe them as being in another world, all the same detail and clarity of the audio technica but with the addition of very superb strong pleasant bass.
 
Hmm, I just don't know what I would need in the realm of an amp? Or of the amplifier in my receiver would do the trick?
 
I have the 80ohm DT770 Pro's. I got them because the guys at Guitar Center said that when it came to bass, which was important to me, they were one of the top products. I had my sound card (HDA Mystique) driving them and it seemed to do really well. TONS of bass and the mids and highs were even good as well. Im no audiophile so don't specifics and such but they are awesome.

Well the headphone port on my soundcard isnt working so I had to switch to onboard sound and my poor ears are like WTF did you do to the headphones? It doesn't have the oomph to drive them properly. Bass is rather weak and the mids and highs pretty much suck even with everything at full volume. So a good soundcard is a must if you get these or a headphone amp if you have to use onboard.

I can wear these things for hours on end with no problem at all, they are that damned comfortable. The ear cushions are replaceable for when they wear out, I think all ear cushions do at some point. Paid $200 a year or two ago and have not regretted it at all.

They sound ok when hooked up to portable players but obviously not to their full potential without the headphone amp to go with them I would imagine. I don't own a headphone amp yet but would like to get one to see how much of a difference they really make.

Hmm, I just don't know what I would need in the realm of an amp? Or of the amplifier in my receiver would do the trick?

The receiver should drive them just fine for 99% of people. Like I mentioned, I am not an audiophile and my soundcard provided enough oomph to drive them so I am betting a recevier would have no problem.
 
Back
Top