Canon's internal data leaked

Canon has been in the news for some bad stuff lately, and now this?
Well, goodbye Canon.

Canon has been in the news for some bad stuff lately, and now this?
Well, goodbye Canon.
As much as I think Canon hasen't made a good hybrid camera since about 2012 (unless you were willing to pay twice as much as the competition), they still own the entry level market and their new cinema cameras are undeniably excellent.
As many problems as they've been having at the top end of the ILC market, they still have about 45% market-share as compared to the second place competitor Sony at just over 20% and Nikon in third with 19~%.
https://petapixel.com/2020/08/14/20...shows-canon-and-sony-growing-nikon-shrinking/
Without being able to see all of the numbers past the paywall I don't know if that's mirrorless and dslr's combined and if that includes cinema cameras or not (I assume it doesn't). But I imagine that Canon's 'dominance' is still mostly due to people buying entry level dslrs (where Sony doesn't have options that are as compelling). Whereas Sony had about a 7 year lead over Canon and Nikon in the mirrorless market, so I imagine that if Sony isn't ahead in specifically just mirrorless sales, it's incredibly close.

Either way bad press is bad for Canon, but they are no where near having a problem while being at the top.

at this point... who HASN'T had some kind of data leak?

IF the article is telling the truth, it's not a leak--it's a publishing of stolen files by a ransomware company, possibly for not paying the ransom.

IF the article is telling the truth, it's not a leak--it's a publishing of stolen files by a ransomware company, possibly for not paying the ransom.
Semantically... Effectively (as pointed out by kju1) the same thing.

1. Hacker gets in with exploits and/or social engineering. Publishes findings.
2. Ransomware uses exploits and/or social engineering. Company doesn't pay up. Publishes findings.

Either way you have the same outcome & remains a data leak all the same.

Last edited:
At the end of the day ransomeware means their people security could use improvement or one person is a doofus.
Their IT can be top notch but if Doug the accountant downloads a virus with access to all the financials matters less compared to if their externally facing servers were unpatched or otherwise.

True its the same outcome of data being leaked, not the same as being hacked IMO.
Difference between individual failure vs company/internal security failure.

Semantically... the same thing.

1. Hacker gets in with exploits and/or social engineering. Publishes findings.
2. Ransomware uses exploits and/or social engineering. Company doesn't pay up. Publishes findings.

Either way you have the same outcome & remains a data leak all the same.

I think you mean EFFECTIVELY the same one. Semantically the same thing would be if I hacked them and then published it vs ransomeware and then it getting published. Whereas a leak by definition is an insider letting the data out on purpose.

A hack would be a breach not a leak.

I think you mean EFFECTIVELY the same one. Semantically the same thing would be if I hacked them and then published it vs ransomeware and then it getting published. Whereas a leak by definition is an insider letting the data out on purpose.

A hack would be a breach not a leak.

My bad on that one. Thanks for the correcting me.

Back