• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Canon PowerShot S5 IS

wtburnette

2[H]4U
Joined
Jun 24, 2004
Messages
3,580
I'm trying to transition from being a point and shoot photographer to something a little higher up the foodchain. I love my SD600, for convenience and being able to take great snapshots, but I'd like to get something a little more powerful, with a better zoom. I've read the S5 IS might fit my needs pretty well and it's also pretty much within my budget. I'm looking at around $400 - 500, but that's including new batteries, a charger, fast memory card and any other accessories. CircuitCity is carrying this camera for $309 plus tax, which seems like a pretty killer deal I'm just trying to decide if it's going to be enough of a step up.
 
I have a PowerShot S5, and I really like it! I basically got it when the camera originally came out (I may have waited a couple weeks), but it replaced a 2 mega-pixel FujiFilm FinePix 2600z that I got in college. Anyway, it has a ton of shooting modes, effects, etc., as I'm sure you already know. It does everything I need it to, and it was a fantastic step-up, but that's not very hard considering the camera it replaced.

With my next camera I *may* go DSLR, but right now I can't justify the price with how much I use my camera, and what I use it for. Regardless, the S5 is a great camera in my opinion. My one and only complaint is the image sensor is the same as the S3. So even though they went from 6 mega pixels to 8, the sensor size stayed the same, and the result is a *slightly* noiser image.
 
^^ That 2600z you replaced is the best camera ive ever owned, to this day. Ive been through 3 trying to find something thats even close to comparable
 
Yup, I liked my 2600z. I was able to take some pretty nice photos (at least in my opinion), with it. I think the images you get from it look great. I liked it enough to not get rid of it when I bought the PowerShot S5. Well actually, I gave it to my wife, but you get the idea. When I bought it I thought it was small, easy to use, and took really good photos. I eventually wanted more options though, with more shooting modes and more control... without going DSLR.

While researching a new camera I thought about getting another FujiFilm camera, since I liked my 2600z, and they make an ultra zoom/dslr-like camera. I read some reviews and decided on the S5. To be honest I'm not sure how good FujiFilms ultra-zoom cameras are these days, as I haven't had to look for well over a year now.
 
Yeah, im on my third attempt (a fuji this time finally) and im hoping i can find it comparable. I ordered the F100FD last week and we'll see how it is.

If im not happy with that, im stepping up into the dslr realm and getting an S5 pro
 
That's pretty much how I feel about my SD600. It's not perfect, but for such a small, compact camera, I think it's great. The only thing is, I need something with better zoom ability and still stay in a good budget. From the reviews and such I've read, the S5 IS sounds like a good fit. Thanks for the posts so far. Anyone else have comments on this camera? Honestly, I have like NO photographic skill, but I'm hoping with a better camera and taking the time to research a little, I can get better... :p
 
Congrats on the purchase. I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Just out of curiosity have you messed around with the camera at all? Like at a store or anything? I will say that after buying mine, and having a couple friends try it out, they went and got their own :)
 
I like the camera a lot so far. For quite point and shoot, my old SD600 is much better due to the convenient size. For any kind of zooming or better shot, this camera rocks. I don't know squat about taking pictures, but I want to learn and I think this will be a good camera to learn with that didn't break the bank. I do know bout CHDK, but I haven't messed with it yet. I will, as I've had long talks with my boss about it who uses it on one of his cameras. Haven't gotten to that point yet, but I will.

I got a few decent pics over the weekend. Here are a few I liked:

NewPics003.jpg


NewPics004.jpg


Fromnewcamera090.jpg


Fromnewcamera091.jpg
 
Back
Top