• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Canon EOS 350D / Digital Rebel XT

Gondi

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jan 31, 2003
Messages
241
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0502/05021704canon_eos350d.asp

Canon has today announced the sucessor to the EOS 300D / Digital Rebel, the new smaller, lighter, eight megapixel EOS 350D / Digital Rebel XT. This new camera incorporates many new features introduced with the EOS 20D and also enables control of settings as requested by EOS 300D owners. The default body color is now black, although a silver body will be available. Key points: 8mp CMOS, 3fps 14 frames, DIGIC II, smaller, lighter, custom functions, selectable metering & AF mode, USB 2.0 Hi-speed, lower introductory list price (US: $899 body only, Europe: €899 body only).

:D
 
There's also the 20Da (A = Astronomy) but that's for Japan only. There's some interesting stuff coming out that is close to the 20D line (Rebel XT apparently doesn't have the same sensor as the 20D, but close -- and DIGIC II).

If Nikon is only doing their D2Hs which is basically the D2H, but priced higher... Well, they better rethink the D70, and fast... (Faster than the D2X is coming out at least) :p
 
Its the D100 that needs re-thinking, D70 is fine as it is.

I read the article on this 350 earlier - sounds like a nice camera.
 
Theres a new EF-S 60mm f2.8 macro lens announced too. Although if it follows in the other EF-S lenses footsteps its gonna be overpriced for what you get.

Another interesting thing i did read, was that the 300D is going to drop to 799-kit and continue to be sold along side the rebel xt(999 kit). 799 is a great price for a d-slr.
 
ambientZ said:
Theres a new EF-S 60mm f2.8 macro lens announced too. Although if it follows in the other EF-S lenses footsteps its gonna be overpriced for what you get.

Another interesting thing i did read, was that the 300D is going to drop to 799-kit and continue to be sold along side the rebel xt(999 kit). 799 is a great price for a d-slr.

I agree, $799 is definately the sweet spot. That puts it right smack in the middle of the prosumer camp.
 
That is a sexy camera, wow.

Only got one question for Canon: what's cooler, black or silver? :cool:
 
ambientZ said:
Theres a new EF-S 60mm f2.8 macro lens announced too. Although if it follows in the other EF-S lenses footsteps its gonna be overpriced for what you get.

The $100 18-55mm kit lens is overpriced! :confused: That is one of the best values for the money one could ever buy.
 
agentzero9 said:
The $100 18-55mm kit lens is overpriced! :confused: That is one of the best values for the money one could ever buy.

Really? I don't like it lol. I guess it's not too bad optically, but my nifty-fifty never leaves the drebel. And if it does, it's only replaced by my 35-105. I don't really like the 18-55. I'm considering selling it off..
 
agentzero9 said:
The $100 18-55mm kit lens is overpriced! :confused: That is one of the best values for the money one could ever buy.

i think the 18-55 is a great bargain. I was actually referring to the EF-S 17-85 IS, and the EF-S 10-22.

The 17-85 is $600+, while the EF equivalent 28-135 IS is only $400.

The EF-S 10-22 is $800+, while the Sigma 12-24 is $700 and FULL FRAME. (granted, theres some QA issues with the sigma).

What happened to the deal that EF-S would enable cheaper wide angle lenses? They're smaller, but not in the pricetag.

(not that its gonna stop me from reallllly wanting the 10-22, but im gonna have to look hard at the tamron and tokina versions that should go for around 500$ for their reduced frame mounts).
 
I just got my 300D back in December. I don't think the 350XT presents much for me to desire to upgrade to at the moment. After the $100 canon rebate I had for the 300D, and the pricematching I did, I paid about $750 for the Rebel 300D Kit anyway.

Unless theres a huge image quality difference, I think I almost prefer the 300D, and the larger size of the original. The new one looks to be 25% smaller as Canon says, and with some of my larger lenses like the 70-300mm, I don't know if a smaller, lighter body would be such a good thing.

I'm quite happy with my 300D, and I dont think the 6.3 -> 8.0 difference makes me want to sell my current 300D enough to get the 350XT. Unless you're into printing a lot of photos on large paper, that 1.7 megapixel upgrade is hardly enough to make a difference for shots that go onto websites, or just photo-archiving to view on your computer.

I've got friends with the 20D, and the quality difference between their shots, and mine, is hardly noticeable to most people. In the end, it more comes down to who is shooting the pics, rather than small megapixel equipment differences.
 
It's not really the sensor size that I'm excited about, it's the sensor technology. If it's similar to the 20D's sensor, low light performance would be AWESOME. I don't have a flash, so I find myself shooting @ 1600ISO with tons of noise. Anyway, you're right... I don't want a smaller one, considering I bought a bunch of batteries for this one. My next upgrade... the 20D or it's successor ;)
 
The upgrade is tempting, and would only cost me perhaps $100 if I sell off my current Digital Rebel. I'd get AI-Servo, better noise @ ISO 1600, Second-Curtain sync, faster CF write times, and ( :( ) a firmware that is hacker resistant...

Actually, I'm planning on sticking with my Silver D-Rebel until I can upgrade to a 1D-Mark II or something, or until the shutter and mirror reflex systems crap out on me and I get them fixed. I don't see myself giving up ISO 3200 and the chance that AI-Servo will be worked out (all that needs to be done is condition the shutter to release without a focus lock -- AI Servo doesn't provide one) to get something I haven't seen pictures from yet. But it definately has a much better buffer than my 300D...


BTW, New Digital Rebel Firmware Avaliable Here -- http://www.syeager.org/300d/forum/index.php?showtopic=110
 
lorcani said:
That is a sexy camera, wow.

Only got one question for Canon: what's cooler, black or silver? :cool:
Easily black. It is the classic and it at least for me gives the illusion that is is better quality.

As for the camera, it looks nice and I may even consider one (had my eye on the D20) but I don't really like these lense too much. I will probably get just the body and then some other lense.
 
one knock against black bodies / white lenses: They can keep you out of some places that ban "professional" cameras, when its purely up to the ticket jockey to determine such. A silver rebel with a smaller black lens may recieve less of a hassle. This goes for stadiums, concerts and such.

I have a silver rebel and think it looks decent, havent had any wear or damage to the body. Had it for over a year.
 
Back
Top