Canon EF-M

KodiakStar

/'s by 0
Grrr.

I love photography, I love my new camera (still miss the Oly E-1 a little bit..)

Currently have Canon 50D, Canon 50mm f1.4 USM, Sigma 18-50mm f2.8 EX DC Macro, Canon EF 70-300mm f4-5.6 IS USM.......

Would love a little red dot. But the new EF-M looks pretty nice, be easier to pack, video as well...

Dare I sell off old stuff and invest in another new system?

Sorry, just me rambling.

Ramble indeed. I would simply say that it depends on what you're trying to do. If you're interested in any sort of action or sports photography than I would say that moving to Canon's new mount would be less than ideal, as it will not have a focusing system that will match any dSLR. In that regard, I think the Olympus OM-D gets the closest out of any mirrorless system, but of course comes with its own series of compromises.

Still, if you want compact, excellent street photography, and (relatively) slow moving subjects, the new system might be worth a look. However, I personally feel that the systems put out by Fuji, namely the X Pro 1 and the X100 are both better cameras and overall better systems than what Canon will be coming out with. And of course, if you can afford it, the new Leica M10 that is around the corner will be the system to destroy them all (but more than likely with a $7k price tag, not to mention VERY expensive lenses.)

The only thing that Canon has going for it is the ability to use EF lenses on it's mirrorless system (via an adaptor.) But that begs the question, why use the mirrorless system in the first place? Getting a small body with massive lens defeats the purpose and portability of having a small body in the first place.

That's the exact problem that Sony's Nex system has. Amazingly beautiful photographs that it produces, but the body and lens is so big, that it's not exactly portable anymore. It's definitely NOT pocketable. So where does it give an advantage over a dSLR? I guess weight slightly, but the size difference is negligible.

So, spend your money as you like and see fit, but if I was going to go for a second system after my dSLR (barring medium format) I would either go with a Fuji or a Leica. The Fuji has the right IQ and the right price, and now that it's had a few firmware updates is a camera that is a joy to use with plenty of nice manual controls and a menu system that makes sense and is to the point. The Leica is a $7k beast that is ruthlessly efficient, built to exacting standards, and produces amazing photos in a rangefinder system. It's just priced out of most of our ranges. Still though, I'm hoping that the M9 price drops like a rock after the M10 comes out, and then maybe it will be more affordable after all.

Back