Cannot Wake System With Kbd/Mouse

RedWagnum

Gawd
Cannot Wake System With Kbd/Mouse

Hi yall!

I've been trying to troubleshoot this for a few weeks now and it's driving me nuts! It's not a huge issue but I want to make it work like it should.

Whenever I put the system to sleep (S3 sleep, hybrid mode [hibernate] is disabled) the only way I can wake the system is with the power button on the case. I cannot use the mouse or keyboard to wake the system. This started after upgrading from an ASUS P5K Deluxe WiFi / E8500 to an ASUS P8Z77-V LE Plus / I5 3570K. Other hardware as is in signature. With the P5k this worked perfectly, I could wake the system with the mouse, keyboard, or power button. Now with the P8Z77 only the power button will wake the system.

After installing the new board/CPU I installed Win7x64 on a new Samsung SSD. After discovering the problem the first place I went to look was Device Manager > Keyboards > HID Keyboard Device > Properties to check the power management settings. Well guess what? There is no power management tab...

Check the mouse, same thing...

Maybe something to do with the root hub?

Well here I at least have a Power Management tab but the "Allow this device to wake the computer" is greyed out. It is like this on ALL the root hubs and ALL the Generic hubs.

I thought it might be something I missed in the BIOS Setup. There are five options in Advanced Power Management (APM)

Restore AC Power Loss, Power On by Ring, and Power On By RTC are irrelevant to this. Deep S4, as indicated in the help text, only allows the system to awaken by the power button when enabled. I've tried it both ways and there is no change. Power on by PCIe/PCI seems to only apply to the Ethernet adapter (which has the Power Management tab fully available in Device Manager).

So what the hell am I missing? On a whim yesterday I temporarily installed a single 500GB hard drive and installed Windows from scratch thinking it might be a driver issue or something. Installed Windows, installed the LAN driver, installed nearly 200 updates (NO DRIVERS), then downloaded the latest Intel Chipset Installation Utility from Intel and installed that.

Exactly the same result - no Power Management tab as above.

Some searching led me to Power Options > Edit Plan Settings > Advanced Power Settings > USB Settings > USB Selective Suspend Setting (which I disabled) and PCI Express > Link State Power Management (which I turned off). None of this changed anything.

I don't know what else to try. Anybody have any suggestions?

Just checked my generic and root hubs under Universal Serial Bus Controllers. All the "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" boxes are ticked. Think the computer has to allow them to be shut down before you can get a tick-box under the device to allow it to wake up the computer. Probably I made some setting somewhere along the way that allowed the hubs to turn off but don't remember. Try manually ticking all the generic and root hubs for allowing the computer to shut them off then see if the "allow this device to wake the computer" appears under keyboard and mouse properties and is tickable.

Recall there was also something about the power management settings in Network Adapter properties that might have had some effect, too. All power saver options are ticked except for "reduce link speed during system idle" but only "wake on Magic Packet" is ticked under "Wake on Lan". I have Intel adapter--yours may differ.

My MB is different so not sure any setting I made in my bios would apply to your MB.

Might have found the change I made. In the part of your post: "Some searching led me to Power Options > Edit Plan Settings > Advanced Power Settings > USB Settings > USB Selective Suspend Setting (which I disabled) and PCI Express > Link State Power Management (which I turned off). None of this changed anything."

I have enabled USB Selective Suspend Setting. Maybe that turned the hubs off by default

See if any of this helps. Some suggest making sure the USBs are plugged directly to the MB but I have them plugged all over--front panel, monitor--and the wake functions OK on all of them. I guess updated drivers, BIOS version is always a good thing, too.

Last edited:
Try manually ticking all the generic and root hubs for allowing the computer to shut them off then see if the "allow this device to wake the computer" appears under keyboard and mouse properties and is tickable.

Yeah, that was the default setting (enabled). I disabled it based on info elsewhere on the web. But last night I tried exactly that and re-enabled them. No joy! :(

Recall there was also something about the power management settings in Network Adapter properties that might have had some effect, too. All power saver options are ticked except for "reduce link speed during system idle" but only "wake on Magic Packet" is ticked under "Wake on Lan". I have Intel adapter--yours may differ.
My Realtek network adapter does have a fully accessible Power Management tab so I know the system is capable of waking from sleep.

Changing these options had no effect on the USB problem.

Might have found the change I made. In the part of your post: "Some searching led me to Power Options > Edit Plan Settings > Advanced Power Settings > USB Settings > USB Selective Suspend Setting (which I disabled) and PCI Express > Link State Power Management (which I turned off). None of this changed anything."

I have enabled USB Selective Suspend Setting. Maybe that turned the hubs off by default.
Did that last night too. Set the Power Options to Balanced and reset the plan settings to default just for good measure. Still no joy. :( :(

See if any of this helps. Some suggest making sure the USBs are plugged directly to the MB but I have them plugged all over--front panel, monitor--and the wake functions OK on all of them.
Unfortunately that is not viable for me. Too many devices, not enough ports. However, on a whim last night I went into BIOS and disabled every USB port except 1 and 2 (kbd and UPS) just to see if maybe it was one of the connected devices that the motherboard didn't like. Same old, same old...

I guess updated drivers, BIOS version is always a good thing, too.
BIOS is latest as of time of writing. The chipset drivers are what shipped on the Support Disc and are probably a couple versions old. But when I did a fresh install on the 500GB drive I downloaded the latest driver installation utility direct from Intel and it made no difference. I'm going to try it anyway to see what happens.

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I really appreciate your input!

Have you installed the Logitech drivers for the mouse and keyboard? They should be identified by name in Device Manager. The fact that there are no power management tabs in the HID devices indicates maybe generic drivers or devices/drivers that don't support Power Management. I have a cheapo Logitech mouse and using SetPoint drivers with it. It is identified by name in Device Manager and does have the Power Management tabs.

Beyond that I am about out of ideas. Maybe someone is using your exact MB and can suggest BIOS settings.

Last edited:
Spent most of the day working with the 500GB test drive. Updated the Intel USB 3.0 xHCI drivers, ASMedia USB 3.0 xHCI drivers, Realtek GBE NIC drivers, Marvell 91xx SATA drivers, installed the latest Logitech SetPoint and GamePanel software, and the AMD display drivers. None of this had any effect on the problem.

Looking at Device Manager on my running rig shows the Logitech devices under Human Interface Devices...

...and the mouse under Mice and other pointy devices :) but not the keyboard under Keyboards...

TBH I don't recall if the keyboard showed up under Keyboards with my old P5K. I don't think it did but I could be wrong.

I'm beginning to think this is a BIOS related issue. All of my USB devices worked fine on the P5K. Wake from Sleep worked fine. My USB devices function correctly on the P8Z77, so I don't think it is a hardware issue. I have installed Windows in a completely default (no tweaks) condition on a test drive, installed all the patches, and updated all the drivers to the latest I could find, so I don't think it is a software or driver issue. That basically only leaves the BIOS - whether it is a setting I don't have correct or a compatibility issue.

Shit! The one thing I didn't think to do was to check the Power Management tabs after I installed Windows on the test drive but BEFORE I started installing the Windows Updates! crap... :( Oh well, maybe I'll try that tomorrow.

Thanks again for your suggestions. I really appreciate it. I'm hoping someone else with an Asus P8Z77-V LE Plus or the P8Z77-V LE (essentially the same board except for slot configuration) will chime in with some additional comments or observations.

It was a slow weekend so I downloaded the manual for your MB and read through it. Didn't see much else to try but there was talk about the Intel Rapid Start Technology. Are you using that? Didn't see any mention of it in your posts. That is all Greek to me since no MB I've used supports it. Beyond that I have no other clues. Did the Power Management tabs ever show up?

It was a slow weekend so I downloaded the manual for your MB and read through it. Didn't see much else to try but there was talk about the Intel Rapid Start Technology. Are you using that? Didn't see any mention of it in your posts. That is all Greek to me since no MB I've used supports it. Beyond that I have no other clues. Did the Power Management tabs ever show up?

Thanks for making the effort tordogs. :cool: The manual is not terrifically helpful since it has not been updated to keep up with the BIOS revisions. As far as I can tell the Intel RST is essentially useless on a system with an SSD boot drive. I installed the RST software during my initial setup because I thought it was going to be useful but have since uninstalled it. Still have not been able to get the Power Management tabs to show up. I'm going to do some more searching and testing over the next few days to see if I come up with anything else. Wish me luck! :)

I think this is related to C1 stepping problem for the USB controller on the MB of early Z87 chipset mother boards.

Intel put out a fix for it in July 2013. Asus, MSI and ASrock have updated their newer Z87 motherboards with the fixed C2 stepping.

Use CPU-Z application to see if your MB has the fixed C2 stepping.

I think this is related to C1 stepping problem for the USB controller on the MB of early Z87 chipset mother boards.

Intel put out a fix for it in July 2013. Asus, MSI and ASrock have updated their newer Z87 motherboards with the fixed C2 stepping.

Use CPU-Z application to see if your MB has the fixed C2 stepping.

Thanks for the input SonDa5. Unfortunately my board is a P8Z77-V LE Plus and thus has a Z77 chipset. Not sure of the stepping - where is that shown on CPU-Z?

Yeah I don't think the C1 stepping issue would affect the mouse/keyboard anyways.

More testing. After searching the [H] Forums for WAKE KEYBOARD I found a sort of similar issue that was resolved by moving the keyboard to another port. I had not actually tried that yet so I pulled everything but the keyboard and rebooted into the test drive. I should probably mention at this point that the Logitech G15 has a USB Root Hub (1.1 I believe) with two ports built into it and that the M570 Wireless Trackball uses a Unifying Receiver which I have plugged into one of the ports on the G15.

Moving the keyboard to either of the two backpanel USB 2.0 ports or any of the four midboard ports I have connected had no effect. After sitting here for a while, staring at the screen and pondering my next step, it finally occurred to me that maybe, just maybe the Z77 chipset is not fully compatible with my G15 (or vice-versa). Go to my spares closet and pull out an old Logitech Cordless Keyboard/Mouseman Combo. Stuff a bunch of batteries in them, unplug the G15, plug in the Cordless Combo and let Windows install the drivers. Press the buttons to pair them up and both the keyboard and mouse are functional. Check Device Manager and sure enough both devices have a Power Management tab and both are set to wake the computer from sleep. Finally! Some progress!! Tested the wake function and the mouse worked perfectly. The keyboard would only wake via the dedicated sleep button which also worked to put the system to sleep. :)

On a whim I thought, just for shits and grins, I'll also plug in the G15 and see what happens. Never tried two keyboards and mice on a system before. Well they all worked but alas the G15 and M570 still had no Power Management tab. So I thought to try different combinations of keyboard and mouse. Unplugged the Unifying Receiver from the G15 to kill the M570 and lo-and-behold now I have a Power Management tab on the G15! And it is set to wake the computer!! I unplug the Cordless Combo, plug the Unifying Receiver into one of the midboard ports, let Windows reinstall the drivers and -viola- now I have a Power Management tab on the M570 too. Tested the wake functionality and the mouse worked perfectly. The keyboard would not wake the system at all unfortunately.

Shut the system down, switch back to my running components, plug the USB cables back in and fire the system up. Windows reinstalls a few drivers and everything is as it should be except now I have a trackball that can wake the system from sleep. I wish I could get the keyboard to work too but TBH, I'm tired of futzing with it. When I sit down at my desk my right hand usually reaches for the trackball first anyway so it's not a big deal.

Apparently the new motherboard just didn't like that Unifying Receiver being plugged into the G15 hub. Sometimes it is the least obvious things that are causing the problem. Bottom line is if you have a Z77 based board, a G15, and a device using the Unifying Receiver, do not plug the receiver into the G15.

And thanks to the last post by rutzui in this thread (Post #18) another issue I was having with the Logitech Gaming Software not resuming correctly is now fixed.

I had a similar issue with an ASUS motherboard. I changed the S3 sleep to and S1 sleep and moved on with life. Depending how wedded you are to S3, perhaps you should consider changing the bios

I actually started having this issue after a recent BIOS update, and I found there was a specific setting in my BIOS that was defaulting to disabled for keyboard/mouse wake for S3.

Back