Cannot Update From Windows 10 1803 to 1809

I am unable to upgrade my 64 bit Professional version of Windows from 1803 to 1809. Every time I get an "Inaccessible Boot Device" error during the 3rd or 4th reboot during the upgrade. I have tried everything I could find online to address this, including: backing off teh memory speed to 2600, turning off virus and malware software, disabling fast boot in both the BIOS and Windows. I am booting from my M.2 drive. The 1809 update shows a failed install on 10/3 with a code of 0xc1900101, but does not show up as an available update in Windows update. I am using the Windows 10 update assistant to try the upgrade. I have a RTS 2080 and would love to get ray tracing to work in BF 5! HELP!!!

RYZEN 7 2700X
ASUS CROSSHAIR 7 HERO MB
32GB FLARE X DDR4 3200
GIGABYTE RTS 2080
1TB M.2 BOOT DRIVE
2 SATA SSD's
WD 2TB drive

Any ideas?

Definitely unplug the non-M.2/OS drives. Sounds like it's trying to boot to a drive that doesn't have a proper BCD or the BCD is actually on one of the non-OS drives and now it's really pissed off. Might need to run a boot repair if that thing even works.

If you do a clean install, disconnect or disable all other drives and have only the M.2 drive accessible. This will ensure that the OS boot information is placed on the drive with the operating system. You can now download the 1809 media creator, so that would be the best thing to use to create a bootable USB drive for a clean 1809 install.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

I also had a problem with a previous update (Anniv I think) where it would go thru all the steps and fail during the final reboot and revert back to previous version on a laptop but the desktops were fine. This I eventually tracked down to VPN software. After I disabled it on startup the update succeeded. It was a desk-pounder situation for a couple days. Check your startup progs in task manager and disable all unnecessary apps and see if that fixes it.

Mine has successfully updated from 1803 to 1809 3 times.

I am currently at 1803 with no updates needed.

2 week old laptop. :mad:

Try uninstalling AV and malware protection. I've experienced many cases in the past where simply disabling AV/AM wasn't enough....
Yes antiviruses install system hooks that remain even if you 'turn it off'. It's not off in reality.

This just reminds me of my nightmare with Windows all over again. One of my PCs is running Windows for gaming. I kept having issues like what you're experiencing, so I reformatted and reinstalled. Was good for a couple of weeks.
I don't play games much, but it did start to consistently crash when launching games. Was starting to suspect that it was possibly hardware. Spent hours troubleshooting. Turns out it was the new graphics drivers Windows installed... Uninstalled all versions of the driver that Windows installs, installed my own from manufacturer's site, and been good ever since.
I hope you figure yours out!

Back