cannot ping gateway (linux vpn solution)

Rajin

n00b
Hello all,

I am building a site to site VPN in linux utilizing shorewall and racoon-tools. This is for a class. I am using Cisco routers, and have the setup like this

LAN A

Router:

s0/0 192.168.16.1/24
fa0/0 100.1.1.1/24
RIP v2 enabled
clock rate 4000000 (this is the DCE)

LAN B

Router:

s0/0 192.168.16.2/24
fa0/0 200.1.1.1/24
RIP v2 enabled
no clock rate since this is the DTE

Connected to the fa0/0 on each side of the network are Ubuntu 6.10 server edition boxes with Racoon-tools and shorewall installed, but not configured. Also the firewall and racoon services have been stopped while I figure out this problem.

LAN A

Ubuntu external: 100.1.1.2/24

LAN B

Ubuntu external 200.1.1.2/24

Again... this is a test lab for my class so some of the settings are out of convention and I understand that.

In any case, on both boxes on their respective side of the network; they can ping their own interfaces but not the routers (gateway) IP address... they both state 'destination host unreachable'.

I am confused as to how to proceed since I can't even have the boxes ping their respective gateways.

Thanks a lot!!!

-Matt

yeah that was the problem... it seemed to be a routing issue, I was changing things so quickly to figure out the problem that I had not restarted the interfaces on the boxes so that the routes would clean themselves up... so when I had one of my colleagues look at it they did it and it worked.

thanks for your input.

Back