Cannot join Win2k computer to Win2k domain! "Network path not found"

For some reason, I also get an error when I try to access WindowsUpdate. The site loads fine, but when I click "Scan for Updates" it brings up a page that reads, "Windows Update Error:
Windows Update has encountered an error and cannot display the requested page." Since every other computer on the network has no problems connecting to windows update, I can't help but
think this is an issue with this machine only.

Suggestions?

Problem A sounds like a DNS issue. Problem B could be a number of things. Once I found the system clock was set incorrectly which prevented WinUpdate from running!

Originally posted by ltickett
Problem A sounds like a DNS issue.
Got it! Your point gave me an idea: I set the primary DNS entry in the network settings to point to the domain controller, and blammo, it all works. Thanks!

Yep, DNS is the major cause for this. You get an IP, you can release and renew, but can't join the domain. An easy way to remember, is your joining the domain by name (of course there is no IP for the domain). It's likely the first time you do a name resolution on a machine so it that's failing it's a DNS issue.

Back