cannot install XP??

wizzackr

[H]ard|Gawd
ok, a friend of mine bought an ACER 5683 WLMi Notebook, which comes with Vista Home Premium by default. He wants to have XP installed on the machine, though (i couldn't care less, so please don't get into a vista/XP fight).

Now the problem is, I cannot make the computer boot from his XP CD: The blue screen pops up, indicating that all components get installed properly (keyboard.sys, driver.cab etc etc.), but the second everything it is finished copying everything from disk and in the top left corner it says windows is starting up (the first time during installation, still on the blue first screen) the computer hardlocks with a BSOD. We veryfied the disc is ok by getting past this point on numerous other computers, but on that one it is a no-go.

what could be causing this? the thing just (2 hours ago) came back from RMA. something still fubared? vista home premium (which was pre-installed) runs fine, though...

Any idea?

I am dealing with this same problem right now.

A client wants to dual boot vista and xp on his newly purchased HP machine.

Changing the sata controller mode from raid to ide is what fixed it here. I seemed to use raid by default.

Other users have reported that switching the hard drive to auto detect in the bios fixed it for them.

See if that helps.

I'm trying to install XP SP2 x64 over or alongside Vista Ultimate x64, but once it loads all the files it says that It can't see a hard drive. I have a 4x500GB RAID 0+1 that is working great in Vista, do you think I'm in a similar position?

It would be nice to keep the array and all the data on it intact...

I am dealing with this same problem right now.

A client wants to dual boot vista and xp on his newly purchased HP machine.

Changing the sata controller mode from raid to ide is what fixed it here. I seemed to use raid by default.

Other users have reported that switching the hard drive to auto detect in the bios fixed it for them.

See if that helps.

Thanks a bunch, protocol - that did it! saved me a lot of time!

Back