Cannot install this hardware

b1m2x3

2[H]4U
Hey guys, I recently purchased this USBlink, to connect the ECU of my car up to my laptop to tune its fuel delivery etc.

Anyways, I've tried installing it multiple times on this machine, using the recommended methods (install driver package, plug in, hit "no, not at this time," then install hardware automatically)

Every time, it will try installing it for about... 2 seconds, then skip to the "cannot install this hardware" message. It says it cannot find the necessary software, even when i point it right at the drivers.

I've tried all my usb ports, tried uninstalling it from the device manager, tried uninstalling its hidden copies from the device manager, tried restoring windows to last week, reinstalling the drivers, trying again and again, and nothing has worked.

i tried installing the software on my friends laptop too, in the exact same way, and it immediately recognized and installed it, no problem.

What the hell is wrong?! anyone have ANY ideas?

You might want to check the manufacturer for tech support, you really didn't give alot of info on specific names or from where.

i did ask them, but it's clearly not the device/drivers fault since it worked flawlessly on another computer.

maybe i should just try removing its drivers again. is there a better way to COMPLETELY remove drivers?

Does the account you are using on your own PC have administrator privileges?

yep, and i went to the reg. keys associated with the device and set the permissions to "allow all"

still didnt help :mad:

im gonna try and use the windows cd to repair it... hopefully that will help.

repairing didnt work...
formatting+reinstalling windows didnt work...

goddamnit.

well, if they proper way doesn't work, I'd do the improper thing and see if windows can figure it out on it's own.

Where are your drivers located? Were they downloaded off the net or are you using a cd?
If you downloaded them, are you sure you got the correct ones and that they aren't corrupted?
If you are using a cd, are you sure your drive isn't bad? or the cd isn't damaged?

Good luck

They were downloaded off the net, and they included an istaller program.

I'm sure i have the correct ones, and they arent corrupted, because they worked on my friends laptop.

The usb ports are fine... they work for everything else.

I can't believe this... even after i formatted, it still does the exact same thing on my computer. The one thing that's different, from my computer to my friends, is that when the "found new hardware" wizard comes up, mine asks if it can connect to windows update to search for software (i hit no), wheras his doesnt even ask. It just said "click next to continue"

humm... this is driving me crazy.

these are the drivers

and these are the installation instructions.

so, after looking it all over, the device instance ID doesnt match the ID in the driver files.

Anyone know how/if i can change that?

Back