• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Cannot have Dual Screen & Sound at same time using HDMI..

D3DAiM

Limp Gawd
Joined
Sep 30, 2006
Messages
413
No matter what configuration that I do--either by making use of my onboard Intel HD Graphics & Audio, my last NVIDIA GTX 465 card that processed audio, or my new AMD 6950--I cannot have both of my monitors running with sound processing via the HDMI input to my AV receiver (Pioneer VSX520).

With my primary monitor powered on, I can receive and play 5.1 audio absolutely fine. However, as soon as I turn on the 2nd monitor, the screen flickers, the 2nd monitor turns on, and sound becomes disabled with the speaker icon in my System Tray gets a big red X, claiming that nothing is plugged in. All the while, my receiver shows on the LCD that it is receiving a valid HDMI audio stream (only registers when I boot into Windows). It is not until I either turn off the monitor or pull the plug out from the HDMI out from the back of the AV receiver, turn off the AV receiver, and turn the AV receiver back on that sound works again. It is extremely annoying.

This occurs while passing the video from my GPU through my receiver and into my display using a HDMI (M) -> DVI (f) adapter from the output of my receiver, while attempting to Eyefinity with my receiver registered as the third "display", and using all of the possible arrangements of cables and adapters from the back of my GPU (which has 2 DVI, 1 HDMI, and 2 DP) to my monitors and AV receiver that I could think of.

What is most desirable is to have the first monitor connected directly to my GPU via DVI, and for my second monitor to receive its video after being passed through my AV receiver to process the audio, which be directly connected directly connected to my GPU's HDMI out. Currently, in this configuration, it can process both the 2nd display and audio, but never together..

:confused:
Help! :rolleyes:

my graphics card: XFX Double D HD-695X-CDFC Radeon HD 6950 2GB
my two monitors: Apple Cinema Display 23" A1082 M9178LL/A Note: DVI out is physically attached to monitor. Has Firewire also. No DP input.
my AV receiver: Pioneer VSX-520-K 5.1-Channel 3-D Ready A/V Receiver
adapters I've used: 1 2 3 4 Note: None of them are "active" I don't think. DVI input on Apple monitor cable is DVI-D Single Link, while on the adapter it is DVI-I Dual Link. I don't know if these details make any difference..
 
Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
For your underlined text, I am doing exactly that with a 6970

I have an onkyo receiver and there is an option to pass through HDMI even when the receiver is off so I can still get video on the second display without having the receiver fully turned on.

I am able to turn monitors on and off, turn the reciever on and off, and I only loose sound when the screens flickr, then the sound will work again.

Sorry I can't help you throubleshoot this but I can at least confirm that it does work for me.
 
For your underlined text, I am doing exactly that with a 6970

I have an onkyo receiver and there is an option to pass through HDMI even when the receiver is off so I can still get video on the second display without having the receiver fully turned on.

I am able to turn monitors on and off, turn the reciever on and off, and I only loose sound when the screens flickr, then the sound will work again.

Sorry I can't help you throubleshoot this but I can at least confirm that it does work for me.
Thank you, very helpful! At least it gives me hope! Some people think it's a "handshaking" issue. Maybe the issue actually lies with my receiver?

So you are using a DVI -> HDMI adapter to output from your receiver to your monitor? What brand/model receiver are you using? And what version of ATI Catalyst? Have you tried or are you using Eyefinity to make this work?

Sorry for the bombardment of questions! I'm just really excited to have a lead, now, on this issue! hahah :p
 
Back
Top